Thread: Backtrack 3, Linksys wireless card and wireless asst

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 3, Linksys wireless card and wireless asst

Hello. I'm wanting to put backtrack 3 on an old HP Pavilion N3270 laptop.

I currently have a dual boot with Win98/ZenWalk on the computer. I have never been able to configure a wireless card with Win98. However, I have configured a Linksys wireless card on this computer with ZenWalk. I had to install a couple of things to get it configured but it does perform adequately. However, the performance of Zenwalk on this computer is pretty clunky. Slow to respond.

So, I want to try Backtrack. It boots up fine from the livecd and it responds very well. But I can't tell if the wireless card is configured.

Using the wireless wizard that comes with Backtrack, I see that the system is picking up the networks I usually pick up. And it gives them 6 stars. And although it attempts to connect to the networks, it fails. One of the networks is unprotected and I usually have no problem connecting to it. My network is protected with a key, but I am unable to connect to that one even after I type in the key.

So, I'm wondering if I still have to run the broadcom drivers that I've had to run on Ubuntu and Zenwalk? Those other systems were unable to pick up the networks until I installed (bcm43xx-fwcutter and bcmwl5.sys).

Or, will it help to have Backtrack actually installed on the HDD?

Thanks.

Developer

One of the networks is unprotected and I usually have no problem connecting to it.
    Doing this is illegal and we will not tolerate talk of this nature. This is your only warning, consider your self lucky thats all you got.