Thread: Edimax Ew-7318usg Usb 2.0

Just burned his ISO

Default Edimax Ew-7318usg Usb 2.0

I just got my Edimax Ew-7318usg Usb 2.0 after my netgear wgt511 was broken.
    So far, i am very disapointed about the Edimax. Even my build in notebook card shows more APs than the Edimax. I used backtrack 3 which should have the newest driver.
    Is there any trick to get more power for this card?

any help would be useful.

good thing is. injection etc works very good. have tested it at my own network.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichtkind View Post
    I just got my Edimax Ew-7318usg Usb 2.0 after my netgear wgt511 was broken.
    So far, i am very disapointed about the Edimax. Even my build in notebook card shows more APs than the Edimax. I used backtrack 3 which should have the newest driver.
    Is there any trick to get more power for this card?

any help would be useful.

good thing is. injection etc works very good. have tested it at my own network.
    Hi Lichtkind, I also have Edimax Ew-7318usg and I'm very happy with it, besides the fact that it could have been made a bit more solid. If I squeeze it slightly, it feels like it wants to break.

The beauty of the card is the external RP SMA connector witch can be used to connect a high gain antenna and the fact that it works very well in terms of injection etc.

If you wanted a high powered card you should have gone for the alfa 500mw USB. It has been well documented throughout this forum and the internet that the Alfa 500mW will pick up the most AP's compared to other cards, if that's what you wanted?

I think you can connect it to a special amlipifier to increase the power of the Edimax Ew-7318usg, I'm not sure.

Only problem is that the amplifier is probably twice the price of the Alfa 500mW, if I'm not mistaken

To answer your question... The trick would be to get a powerful external antenna.

You say "Have tested it at my own network"

I say "I'm not sure I understand but Please keep it legal"

LaterZ
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Developer

I recomend this one....

But if thats a little out of your price range you could look here and here for some cheaper models.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I recomend this one....

But if thats a little out of your price range you could look here and here for some cheaper models.
    Hey!

You been sneaking around taking pictures of my workshop!?!?

Did you see that sign over the door: "All Your Planets Are Belong To Us"

lol, that's old school, this is the one to get.

and if that's too expensive, this one.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your help so far and the nice pics

I got myself 2 antennas.. 7dbi and 6 dbi.. the recieving works better now. but injection (fake auth) does not work well. the ap has to be realy close. while i got myself another netgear wg511t again and fake auths to APs worked, where the fake auths to APs did not work with the Edimax.. i have to say. the wg511t works better than the edimax.

if you want a new card, i suggest you dont buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichtkind View Post
    Thanks for your help so far and the nice pics

I got myself 2 antennas.. 7dbi and 6 dbi.. the recieving works better now. but injection (fake auth) does not work well. the ap has to be realy close. while i got myself another netgear wg511t again and fake auths to APs worked, where the fake auths to APs did not work with the Edimax.. i have to say. the wg511t works better than the edimax.

if you want a new card, i suggest you dont buy it.
    It's a pleasure, Thanks for the update.
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

Update:
    I tested a bit more arround with the Edimax and a 7 dbi antenna. If you use :
    iwconfig rausb0 rate 1M
    (or 2M) to set down the speed of the card. you are able to fake auths to APs that are not close to you.

What brand/model antennas are you using?

Just brought home a Hawking HAI7SIA 7dbi omni. Haven't hooked it up yet, but will post results when found. I'm using the Edimax 7318usg currently and have successfully cracked wep a couple times with a range of about 100ft. Hoping to gain some distance with the omni.

I'm not quite impressed with the range of the 4dbi antenna that comes with the Edimax, after comparing to my built in wireless it didn't seem quite as strong. Built in wireless shows about 6-8 AP's within a decent range, Edimax shows 4-5...