Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another boot splash problem!

Just burned his ISO

Default Another boot splash problem!

I have searched the forums over and over and can not find a solution to my problem. I know this topic has been posted many times...But I cannot find a solution.
    I installed bt3 successfully and the fbsplash is working. I just have a problem with the splash.bmp. I have added the line to lilo:
    Code:
    lba32 # Allow booting past 1024th cylinder with a recent BIOS
    boot = /dev/sda
    # message = /boot/boot_message.txt
    prompt
    timeout = 1200
    bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    change-rules
    reset
    vga=791

# Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    initrd = /boot/splash.initrd
    root = /dev/sdb3
    label = Linux
    read-only
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

other=/dev/sda1
    label=Windows
    table=/dev/sda
    But when I execute 'lilo -v' I get
    Code:
    LILO version 22.8, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
    Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman
    Released 19-Feb-2007 and compiled at 01:09:42 on Jun 10 2007.

Reading boot sector from /dev/sda
    Using BITMAP secondary loader
    Calling map_insert_data
    Warning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks.
    Mapping bitmap file /boot/splash.bmp
    Fatal: open /boot/splash.bmp: No such file or directory
    So it seems that I don't have a splash.bmp. I searched the cd and my computer for it - not found. Can someone help me find the correct splash.bmp or a place to get one that will work?

Just burned his ISO

I don't know splash.bmp in bt 3 but in bt 2 you can find it in the CD which located in folder boot..

Just create a splash.bmp file with the according color depth and size.

You can basically use whichever image you want to use.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by smOk3 View Post
    So it seems that I don't have a splash.bmp. I searched the cd and my computer for it - not found. Can someone help me find the correct splash.bmp or a place to get one that will work?
    Hi Guys

I got the following info from a good friend and member of this site Dapirates1 so credit due and all that, but here is his how to guide.

It worked sweet as a nut for me.

I would however like to know how to get the HDD to load the info as if it is the live CD install as that is very slick.

How to change ugly red lilo boot screen on backtrack3

put splash.bmp in your /boot directory

open konsole
    type
    cd /boot
    type
    makesplash

add this line to lilo.conf by typing nano /etc/lilo.conf

initrd = /boot/splash.initrd

put it underneath

image = /boot/vmlinuz

make sure

bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
    #bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp <---is not commented (a # infront if it is delete the #)

press control and x to save choose y and enter
    type

lilo -v

reboot the nasty lilo screen be gone

use your own image by creating one that is 640x480 pixels in 16bit color name it splash.bmp put it into /boot
    Stay legal ...
    Pyro

Developer

PrarieFire has posted how to do this a long time ago on the wiki. I wish you all would search the wiki before posting questions AND before posting tutorials and how to's to make sure some one hasnt already done it. What happens is n00bs are confused when if they actually do use the search button and come up with 8 or 10 ways to install backtrack and none of the methods are on the wiki. Then me or another MOD will say "Did you check the wiki?' and the n00b will be like "WTF there's a wiki". Then they go there and the install is totally different.

So what I'm saying to every one (and this is in general and not directly relating to this thread) is do a search before being in such a hurry to post a tut and look like a uber leet haxor.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    PrarieFire has posted how to do this a long time ago on the wiki. I wish you all would search the wiki before posting questions AND before posting tutorials and how to's to make sure some one hasnt already done it. What happens is n00bs are confused when if they actually do use the search button and come up with 8 or 10 ways to install backtrack and none of the methods are on the wiki. Then me or another MOD will say "Did you check the wiki?' and the n00b will be like "WTF there's a wiki". Then they go there and the install is totally different.

So what I'm saying to every one (and this is in general and not directly relating to this thread) is do a search before being in such a hurry to post a tut and look like a uber leet haxor.
    That about right..... shoot someone down for helping someone out, bollocks to you all,

I am fed up with crap that is generated on this site, why can people understand that a newbie is a newbie, and to give help in a structured manor is quite beyond me.
    I have myself searched on this site and Google for answers, but all you get is some over complicated comment when a plain simple explanation does far better.
    No one shouts at stupid comments made by “ senior members “, what makes them senior? , apart from the amount of stupid replies they have given to people, for example “OMFG, how can you possibly be a l33thax0r without the bootsplash. Rolfcoptor. “ What’s the point in that, apart from adding 1 to the post count !!
    I have been a member here since Aug 2006 so am I more senior than a member that joined in Feb. 2008 ? I just choose not to reply with stupid answers just trying to bump my post count up, we can all do that !
    The whole idea of a forum is to discuss, and yes I do agree search on the site and Google before posting, but when the search results make little sense because it is all new don’t shoot people down for trying to help.
    I would imagine that you are all going to want to ban me or remove me from the site because I have told it how it is, but that would not surprise me in the slightest and simply prove that this is not a forum for people to help each other but a few people trying to play god !

So to recap.....

When a newbie asks for help, why not help him in nice easy to understand steps instead of pages of commands that make no sense ? once this has been adopted the site will be worth its weight until then the questions will still keep rolling in, believe me I have see it all before....

Sorry for the rant but if you don’t voice a opinion then you have no forum !!
    Stay legal ...
    Pyro

Developer

So why should the others and I waste our time finding a resolving fixes and then posting them to the wiki. If people are not going to be directed to it then I am wasting my time editing it huh.

How would you feel if you had to answer that same question 3 or 4 times a day and type out that whole response 3 or 4 times a day? I know how you feel because it happens to me and after a few weeks your screaming at the screen "READ THE F#$^ING WIKI"

Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    That about right..... shoot someone down for helping someone out, bollocks to you all,

<blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah>

Sorry for the rant but if you don’t voice a opinion then you have no forum !!
    Short answer: You're wrong. Suck it up.

Longer answer: No sympathy here, bub. You posted redundant info, and got called on it. Next time you'll know to check the Wiki.

The whole thing of course begs the usual question: Why are you doing playing around with an advanced distro if you can't figure out how simple things (like paths) work in Linux?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Well I'm going to try and get a post in here before this gets to be 3 pages long.

Penetration testing is not the typical forum subject. You can't just answer everything because you never know who is behind the question. I'm certain that if half the people here recieved the proper answer there would be a lot more crime being commited around the world.

You obviously agree that trying to find an answer using the search function and google prior to posting is a must and it is. When it becomes quite clear that these newbies don't make any sort of attempt to find anything on thier own and expect to come here and be spoonfed is WRONG.

I think pureh@te was correct in his post because people should realize the alternatives to where they can search for thier answers. The wiki is a good resource and I would hope that you could agree with that.

If you disagree with how others answer questions here then do something about it and post your answers instead of complaining how others handle them.

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Well I'm going to try and get a post in here before this gets to be 3 pages long.

If you disagree with how others answer questions here then do something about it and post your answers instead of complaining how others handle them.
    I did answer the question with a step by step guide to resolve the issue, because it was " in the wiki “ this is WRONG to offer such assistance !

If you look here at post 19 where someone has looked at the wiki but it has not got the answer, what is he to do ? does he wait until someone edits the wrong info in the wiki?

If this is the case then the forum is dead in the water, because you have to look in the wiki to get the answers, so the wiki tells you one thing, you try it and that does not work so you ask for help , but as no one can answer you..... game over ?

I can sympathise with pureh@te with regards to telling people to look in the wiki, but where does this go when the wiki does not resolve the issue ? I also understand you cannot answer every question as you don’t know who is behind the question.

All this has been started because I HELPED someone !?

Come one give the dog a bone...
    Stay legal ...
    Pyro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast