Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TOR/Privoxy:how to define the country of exit node

Many people also don't understand the differences between anonymity, privacy, and security.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Are you referring to the fact that the endpoints can be sniffed (which is more about users not understanding how anonymizers work than the tool itself), or has something else been found to be a problem?
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=12166
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks.

That "security problem" is between the chair and keyboard, not with Tor itself. It's one of those things that should be immediately obvious to people if they look at how Tor (or any anonymizer) works. If the traffic itself isn't encrypted, all you've done is move where the traffic is originating.

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Many people also don't understand the differences between anonymity, privacy, and security.
    And many more just don't RTFM!
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Thanks.

That "security problem" is between the chair and keyboard, not with Tor itself. It's one of those things that should be immediately obvious to people if they look at how Tor (or any anonymizer) works. If the traffic itself isn't encrypted, all you've done is move move where the traffic is originating and any endpoin

And many more just don't RTFM!
    That's true

Using HTTPS protocol, enabling encryption and re-keying and using true SSL with HTTPS would be advisable.

Your Freedom
    performs all functions quite well, I'm not sure about Tor to be honest.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Not to rehash an old post but this may provide a hint,
    "Eavesdropping by exit nodes
    In September 2007, Dan Egerstad, a Swedish security consultant, revealed that he had intercepted usernames and passwords for a large number of email accounts, by operating and monitoring Tor exit nodes.[6] On November 15, 2007, he was arrested on charges stemming from discovering and publishing this information. As Tor does not, and by design cannot, encrypt the traffic between an exit node and the target server, any exit node is in a position to capture any traffic which is not encrypted at the application layer, e.g. by SSL. While this does not inherently violate the anonymity of the source, it affords added opportunities for data interception by self-selected third parties, greatly increasing the risk of exposure of sensitive data by users who are careless or who mistake Tor's anonymity for security.[7]"

Now it may be that he operated the exit node that he could do this. But if one could feed off an exit node and/or MiM/sniff, then it would work.

Source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)
    Another old paper = http://www.packetstormsecurity.org/0...on_Hacking.pdf

TOR = Tracking O-Round the world. Most of the time. And sniffable it would seem.

You didn't really think we would let you be invisible did you?
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember(quite a few years ago) as being able to manually do this using wingates.
    ================================================== ===
    Dr. Walter - Depraved linguist, Benevolent troublemaker extraordinaire

Well if he was looking for a way to protect himself, i would suggest going through
    hacked machines. (if he's a blackhat and has access to those). Else he could try
    make his own routes through russian anonymous proxies. (good ones hard to find).

Also, to the thread poster, i suggest you read what you can about the Tor network,
    and also its security flaws, thus some of the links the other member posted, that's
    just my 2 cents of today basicly.

Last note is anyone can function as a bad relay within the Tor network, that's what
    makes it potentially "dangerous" to use.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

One possible answer at my question could be:

Use TorK as a TOR front end and there you have the following possibilities:

- Always User Server As An Exit
    - Try To Use Server As an Exit
    - Never Use Server at All
    - Never use Country At All

John

oh and a possible reason he may want to do this?

quite a few web sites, come up in whatever language or interract differently depending on what language is spoken from the ip address you are on...

eg: tor's exit node is from china?

google is in chineese...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy80 View Post
    oh and a possible reason he may want to do this?

quite a few web sites, come up in whatever language or interract differently depending on what language is spoken from the ip address you are on...

eg: tor's exit node is from china?

google is in chineese...
    Personally, I'd do this if I wanted to access websites which blocked a certain country's traffic. Again though you must take what you're accessing and sending through into account ala John's insight, but it is useful nonetheless.
    Dr. Walter - Depraved linguist, Benevolent troublemaker extraordinaire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12