Thread: Vmware install issue....

Default Vmware install issue....

I have setup a vmware install of BT4 Final and am following the steps on BT4 VM Install .

At step 4 I type in the command as listed ("mount /dev/cdrom3 /mnt/cdrom") but I get "mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom does not exist".

Why is this? What am I doing wrong here?

Developer

Default Re: Vmware install issue....

It probably doesnt exist.

mkdir /mnt/cdrom

Thanks for the pointer.

Here is my complete, all-in-one-place instruction list for installing Backtrack4 Final in VMware....

Install BackTrack in VMWare.
    1. Boot BackTrack on the machine to be installed. Once booted, type in “startx” to get to the KDE graphical interface.

2. Double click the “install.sh” script on the desktop, or run the command “ubiquity” in console.

3. Select your geographical location and click “forward”. Same for the Keyboard layout.

4. The next screen allows you to configure the partitioning layout. The assumption is that we are deleting the whole drive and installing BackTrack on it.

5. Accept the installation summary and client “Install”. Allow the installation to run and complete. Restart when done.

6. Log into BackTrack with the default username and password root / toor. Change root password.

7. Fix the framebuffer splash by typing “fix-splash” or “fix-splash800″ if you wish a 800×600 framebuffer, and reboot.

8. Log into BackTrack. To install the VMWare drivers, the kernel source and headers need to be in place. By default in the BackTrack 4 final release, the kernel (denoted by {version} ) is configured and ready. However in some cases, you might need to make sure you have the latest kernel sources by typing in:

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install linux-source
    cd /usr/src
    tar jxpf linux-source-{version}.tar.bz2
    ln -s linux-source-{version} linux
    cd linux
    zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
    make scripts
    make prepare
    9. Now that your kernel sources and headers are in place, run the “Install VMWare tools” for the specific guest VM.

10. Mount the VMWare tools virtual cd, copy over the VMWare tools package and run the installer:

Code:
    mount /dev/cdrom3 /mnt/cdrom
    cp /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-{version}.tar.gz /tmp/
    cd /tmp/
    tar zxpf VMwareTools-{version}.tar.gz
    cd vmware-tools-distrib
    ./vmware-install.pl

(If you get the error “mount: mount point /mnt/cdrom does not exist” when you run the second command “cp /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-{version}.tar.gz /tmp/” then type the command “mkdir /mnt/cdrom” to first create the directory that the second command is trying to use.)

(To find the version of the VMwareTools installation, use the command “cd /mnt/cdrom” after command 1 in this step, then use the “dir” command and look for the VMwareTools-{version}.tar.gz filename. This is the {version} that you need for commands 2 and 4 above.)

11. Complete the VMWare tools installation as required. Run “fix-splash” to reintroduce the green framebuffer console. Reboot

12. Now you need to stop the sound system from eating system resources alive, disable the sound system using the system menu …

Code:
    Kmenu > system > settings > sound & multimedia > sound system
    untick "enable sound system”
    13. Complete the VMWare tools installation as required. Run “fix-splash” to reintroduce the green framebuffer console. Reboot and enjoy.

Not that it's a bad idea getting used to the command line, but you could accomplish this step by first selecting "Install VMWare tools" in the drop down menu. Then open Konqueror and select storage devices (you might have to hit f5 to refresh) and then copy the tar file to your desktop (or tmp, you can delete it after you run the script). Then follow the rest of the guide.

I prefer the command line myself, but for this particular step I have had issues in VMWare when it comes to mounting the cdrom, and just found it easier to use the gui.
    Last edited by Lincoln; 02-07-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    I prefer the command line myself, but for this particular step I have had issues in VMWare when it comes to mounting the cdrom, and just found it easier to use the gui.
    I agree with this. There's also 'apt-get install open-vm-tools', which will be quicker, but I prefer installing it myself.