Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Professionally putting this knowledge to work!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That's a good idea. Though from one mac guy to another, not you Streaker , print them to pdf. Keep them all in your documents folder. That way you can just do a finder search, it will search in all your documents as well. Freaking handy. I also have copies of all the tech manuals of all the equipment I might have to work on in there.
    I do alot of stuff in PDF as well, but when I'm reading Tech documents, I like to have the paper sitting on my desk, not on my screen. Most of the time when I'm working on a problem, my screen is too cluttered with what I'm working on to keep switching to the document I'm trying to follow.

I have started keeping all my CAL's and licenses in PDF format though. They are written to a USB harddrive with ISO's of all our original software and stored in the firesafe with our backup tapes.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    When ever I find a KB article that fixes a problem I'm having, I print it out and I stick it in a folder. That way whenever I run across the same problem again, I just pull out the folder instead of trying to find the same KB again.
    I use a similar system, although I used 3-ring binders when the folders get too big and it isn't just the MS KB. The binders are broken down by subject: Win 2003 server, Win XP, Linux (General), BackTrack, Ubuntu, Mac OSX, etc.

Another good place is Tech Republic. They have a wide subject and OS article base.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Nothing beats being able to read something on actual paper.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I use a similar system, although I used 3-ring binders when the folders get too big and it isn't just the MS KB. The binders are broken down by subject: Win 2003 server, Win XP, Linux (General), BackTrack, Ubuntu, Mac OSX, etc.

Another good place is Tech Republic. They have a wide subject and OS article base.
    I thought you invented the Knowledge base idea? Isn't this one of your early works?

A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I was thinking more along these lines.

"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I do alot of stuff in PDF as well, but when I'm reading Tech documents, I like to have the paper sitting on my desk, not on my screen. Most of the time when I'm working on a problem, my screen is too cluttered with what I'm working on to keep switching to the document I'm trying to follow.

I have started keeping all my CAL's and licenses in PDF format though. They are written to a USB harddrive with ISO's of all our original software and stored in the firesafe with our backup tapes.
    That's what virtual desktops are for!!

Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Thorn

Ptolemy and Cleopatra?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ptolemy and Cleopatra?
    You can be sure they were the ones who wanted the GUI. Or as we used to say "You bet your asp!"

Thorn

You can be sure they were the ones who wanted the GUI. Or as we used to say "You bet your asp!"

Waaaaaay off topic, did you happen to catch Rome on HBO? That Cleopatra chick was hot! Though I'm pretty sure they didn't shave their legs and pits back then.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast