Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Professionally putting this knowledge to work!

streaker and archange have all made excellent points...

as stated by streaker, networking is the most important factor in this business. I have seen several individuals get high level, high paying IT jobs with major US government contractors, despite the fact they were either college dropouts or were mediocre students at best.

my own take is that if you have prior military experience, that will definitely help you in regards to landing a government/defense contractor job, especially for ones that require clearances.

I would recommend checking out this forum as well:

http://seeker.dice.com/olc/index.jspa?categoryID=1
    "Sure is for people with nothing on the line.....you and me? We just get on with it."

-Garabaldi

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anubis2k7 View Post
    streaker and archange have all made excellent points...
    my own take is that if you have prior military experience, that will definitely help you in regards to landing a government/defense contractor job, especially for ones that require clearances.
    This is true, I have seen people that are doing a job that was no where near what they did for the military, however they served and basically that was all it took. No I am not saying this will happen every time but a lot of the DC's will hire prior service (any) just because of the past service. It is deemed that if you were good enough to serve uncle sam then you are good enough for me.
    That and you can easily relate to your customer (the military).
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    The point if this story, keep your ears open, learn to 'network' in the business sense, talk to other people in the field in the area where you live. You never know who might be able to help you break into the field.
    That's the key... couldn't have put it more profoundly. You are who you meet, and if you have a military background as you say be disciplined so that you make the effort to follow up.

You never know who might be able to help you break into the field.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Well, i will take everything everyone said into account, and thank you all for some of that guidence. I guess i'm just scared to go get an IT job, and then they expect me to do something in windoze, (i.e. vista networking!) and honestly, i just don't remember all that much about windoze, and hell, i don't care if i NEVER touch i winbox again! (ugplugged last year and went mac. But i've been playing with linux for about 6 years, *just wasnt very successful until bt!) But really, thank you all for the insight. I understand the SE aspect of it..... hell that's my best quility ;^)

Thnx all,

-KS

Quote Originally Posted by .K.S. View Post
    Well, i will take everything everyone said into account, and thank you all for some of that guidence. I guess i'm just scared to go get an IT job, and then they expect me to do something in windoze, (i.e. vista networking!) and honestly, i just don't remember all that much about windoze, and hell, i don't care if i NEVER touch i winbox again! (ugplugged last year and went mac. But i've been playing with linux for about 6 years, *just wasnt very successful until bt!) But really, thank you all for the insight. I understand the SE aspect of it..... hell that's my best quility ;^)

Thnx all,

-KS
    If you're going to be involved in any kind of IT work, you'll have to drop your prejudices for or against particular operating systems and learn to use a variety. In 35 years for dealing with computers, I've lost count of the number of OSs I've used and I can tell you this: All of them were great in some aspect and all of them were deficient in some aspect. No "perfect" OS exists. You don't have to love them, but being a zealot for or against a particular OS will only narrow your ability to be employed in the overall IT job market.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Thnx all,

-KS
    I concur with Thorn. You're not going to get anywhere with that attitude, Windows is a big part of the business world, and I don't care what you read on /. Windows XP (the choice of business) is a very stable platform. Most companies are not converting to Vista, and probably won't be for quite sometime.

My 'helpdesk' calls that are related to OS issues are slim to nil here, but that could also be because I spent a great deal of time making sure that the network is operating at the most efficient level possible, and that all the machines get their updates in a timely manner. It leaves me lots of time to do many other things to keep the network running.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Hell, even I'll work on a windoze machine. That's saying a lot! I'm not as proficient with them as I am Macs, but I'm up front about that. I can still fix them though. Vista is pretty much a pain in the ass for everybody though. I'd love a job that didn't require touching a windows machine, but afaik it doesn't exist.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

got it! .... Really, i don't care if i have to sit at a winbox for 10 hours a day! (not on "my" machine tho) .... I hate windoze, but i am willing to work with it. The problem is like when they ask me something like setting up group policies and what not. i just don't remember how to do it. .... I guess it's really not that much of a problem. ... if i ever was to get assigned to something i knew little about, i could learn how to master it (somewhat) in a reasonable amount of time. I guess it's just that initial fear of, "go do xyz!".... "Ok, sure.... as soon as i figure it out" lol. But as i said, i REALLY don't care WHAT i'm doing (as long as it's not A+ stuff, that sh*t's not my cup of tea!) i just want to be IN the IT feild and one day work my way up to senior sec-man.

Thanx all,

-KS

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

got it! .... Really, i don't care if i have to sit at a winbox for 10 hours a day! (not on "my" machine tho) .... I hate windoze, but i am willing to work with it. The problem is like when they ask me something like setting up group policies and what not. i just don't remember how to do it. .... I guess it's really not that much of a problem. ... if i ever was to get assigned to something i knew little about, i could learn how to master it (somewhat) in a reasonable amount of time. I guess it's just that initial fear of, "go do xyz!".... "Ok, sure.... as soon as i figure it out" lol. But as i said, i REALLY don't care WHAT i'm doing (as long as it's not A+ stuff, that sh*t's not my cup of tea!) i just want to be IN the IT feild and one day work my way up to senior sec-man.

Thanx all,

-KS
    Microsoft's knowledge base is actually quite good, although sometimes it does return results that seem to have no bearing on what you're searching for, but otherwise I've always found the answer to whatever I'm looking for.

When ever I find a KB article that fixes a problem I'm having, I print it out and I stick it in a folder. That way whenever I run across the same problem again, I just pull out the folder instead of trying to find the same KB again.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Microsoft's knowledge base is actually quite good, although sometimes it does return results that seem to have no bearing on what you're searching for, but otherwise I've always found the answer to whatever I'm looking for.

When ever I find a KB article that fixes a problem I'm having, I print it out and I stick it in a folder. That way whenever I run across the same problem again, I just pull out the folder instead of trying to find the same KB again.
    That's a good idea. Though from one mac guy to another, not you Streaker , print them to pdf. Keep them all in your documents folder. That way you can just do a finder search, it will search in all your documents as well. Freaking handy. I also have copies of all the tech manuals of all the equipment I might have to work on in there.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast