Thread: Can't bring eth1 down

Just burned his ISO

Default Can't bring eth1 down

I ran BT3 from the Live CD for a while and I liked it better than Auditor I used to use.
    So I kicked Auditor from my harddisk and installed BT3. Everything is fine, it all works, excepts for one thing.

For some reason, my interfaces are not eth0 but eth1. I was able to get the wired interface from eth1 to eth0 (ifconfig eth1 down, ifconfig eth0 up), but I can't get the wireless eth1 (it's called eth1 according to iwconfig) down, it just doesn't go down.

Now this did work when I used the live CD, so it's very strange. Any ideas why this is not working anymore?

I'm running BT3 on a IBM Thinkpad R51 with an IPW2200BG card (yeah I know...).

Quote Originally Posted by renevanh View Post
    I ran BT3 from the Live CD for a while and I liked it better than Auditor I used to use.
    So I kicked Auditor from my harddisk and installed BT3. Everything is fine, it all works, excepts for one thing.

For some reason, my interfaces are not eth0 but eth1. I was able to get the wired interface from eth1 to eth0 (ifconfig eth1 down, ifconfig eth0 up), but I can't get the wireless eth1 (it's called eth1 according to iwconfig) down, it just doesn't go down.

Now this did work when I used the live CD, so it's very strange. Any ideas why this is not working anymore?

eth0 and eth1 are most likely two different interfaces. Try this:
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    ifconfig eth1 up
    then show us the results of
    Code:
    ifconfig
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

To me it sounds like you're treating it like ath0, which works differently. Just leave it at eth1 as originally listed, and work with that. There's no reason to down and up it.

Quote Originally Posted by renevanh View Post

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

theprez has it right. You don't change the interface name by doing ifconfig eth1 down then ifconfig eth0 up. This would actually be the first time I've seen a wireless interface named eth although this is probably not impossible. You might want to check for other possible interfaces like ath or wlan. I think modprobe does this you just have to read the results carefully. And a little more reading about iwconfig wouldn't hurt also.

I was wondering if its even possible to change the interface name of network devices?

is it any diffrent, do you find it slowing you down, is all the same programs working. So what is the diffrence i bet you have a broadcom interface

if there is no diffrence then no worry but if there is a diffrence then please give a bit more info than just eth0 and eth1

that's just poney!!!!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    I was wondering if its even possible to change the interface name of network devices?

To answer yes you can change the logical name of an interface card.

There are three basic methods in which to do this.
    Have a look here to learn more.

http://www.science.uva.nl/research/a...InterfaceNames
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    To answer yes you can change the logical name of an interface card.

There are three basic methods in which to do this.
    Have a look here to learn more.

http://www.science.uva.nl/research/a...InterfaceNames
    Thanks arch that was exactly what I was looking for! Just for information purposes basically but after reading that I can see how it can be very useful.

is it any diffrent, do you find it slowing you down, is all the same programs working. So what is the diffrence i bet you have a broadcom interface

if there is no diffrence then no worry but if there is a diffrence then please give a bit more info than just eth0 and eth1

that's just poney!!!!
    Is this confusing to anyone else?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Thanks arch that was exactly what I was looking for! Just for information purposes basically but after reading that I can see how it can be very useful.
    No problem glad to have helped.

Is this confusing to anyone else?
    yes somewhat so.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by abitaz View Post
    Just leave it at eth1 as originally listed, and work with that. There's no reason to down and up it.
    I think I haven't been clear... my fault.
    The namechange of the wired connection was just a typo and it happened. It was fun, but unnecessary.

I want to bring my wireless adapter (eth1) down because I want to change the MAC address.

Anyway: I'm thinking about buying another wireless card to be able to send fake authentification with aireplay-ng (I can't get the driver patch for the ipw2200 working). I would prefer a Atheros chipset, but very few cards in various online shop are listed with the chipset, so it's guessing :P
    I found an expensive NetGear card with an Atheros chip, which also has a little brother (cheaper but can also handle 802.11a). The last one hasn't got a chipset listed with it. Can I presume NetGear (and Asus, D-link) only use Atheros chipsets, or not?