Thread: Back|Track 3 Beta - Installation on HD - Directory structure and IPWRAW driver

Just burned his ISO

Default Back|Track 3 Beta - Installation on HD - Directory structure and IPWRAW driver

Hello everyone,

For the past 5 hours, I tried to install BT3 dualbooting with Windows XP (on a T60 IBM Thinkpad)

(.... "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more")

At first, I used : beyondthebit [dot] com [slash] node [slash] 17 > tutorial. Basically what it tells you to do is create a Ext3 partition where you will install Backtrack.
    I did all of this and BT3 succesfully installed. However, it seems like my directory structure is all messed up. I am saying this because on the live cd, the directory is split with boot/ and backtrack/ (and in backtrack/ you have /user, etc) but in my hd directory (when I unmount the disk) I see boot/ and all other subdirectory of the backtrack live cd folder. So should they all be in a upper directory? Or is it normal?

My setup : sda1 NTFS windows xp pro
    sda2 Ext3 backtrack 3 beta

In the backtrack menu: Install Backtrack (not tested)
    Source (auto) : /mnt/live/mnt/hdc/BT3
    Install BackTrack to: /mnt/sda2
    Write New MBR (lilo.mbr) to: /dev/sda

Installation method: real
    Restore Original MBR after lilo : unchecked

I searched on google and I found another : offensive-security [dot] com / documentation / backtrack-hd-install.pdf > howto which is hosted by offensive-security and one of their video (offensive-security [dot] com / movies / dualboot / dualboot . html). You would think the video is using the same procedure as the HowTo right? But no... the video is manually making all the directory and the guide uses the backtrack menu to automatically install Backtrack (but this is for BT2) but the video and the tutorial are making 3 (or 4?) partitions.

I don't know which one is the right one, Pureh@te commented on the tutorial from offensive-security (forums [dot] remote-exploit [dot] org/showpost.php?p=57288&postcount=12)here and since he's a moderator, I think it's safe to assume that he knows what he's talking about. I would like some clarification because I am very confuse about all this.

The only reason why I think there is a directory mix up is because when I try to launch the IPWRAW driver for my Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG (via the Backtrack menu > misc > load) it says "ERROR: Module ipwraw does not exist in /proc/modules".

So I tried something else, I went in Backtrack menu>Radio Network Analysis>80211>misk and Load IPWRAW
    /bin/sh: ./unload: No such file or directory

I right clicked the 'link' to find the path, so in Konsole: cd /usr/src/drivers/
    and then I typed ls to see what was inside.
    I got ipwraw-ng and iwlwifi-1.0.0

1) I went in the iwlwifi-1.0.0, and I can type load/unload but seems like I can't put it in monitor mode, nor connect to wireless network using Wireless assistant. So anyway, I was ****ing around and I unloaded it.

2) I went in the /usr/src/drivers/ipwraw-ng and typed load, and I got my raw good old driver wifi0 which I can put in monitor mode in airmon-ng. But now I have no clue how to unload the raw driver . I tried typing load again... doesn't work. I tried going in the iwlwifi-1.0.0 and type unload, doesn't work.

So um any clue?

I saw there was a bug about the menu for ipwraw driver in the wiki which explains why the 'link' doesn't work for the driver, but how do I unload it

Thanks a lot for your help, if you need additional information just ask and I'll try to reply as soon as possible.

(I would have posted this in the BT3 section but I can't since I'm on the 3-days newbie probation)
    P.S.: Today was the first time I ever touched a Linux OS so try to be very clear with commands why and what they do... if you don't feel like it, I'll google and wikipedia it but you know... :P

Developer

Wow! Okay lets start from square 1. Did you or did you not get back track installed? The difference in the file structure is pretty basic Linux so first off you may want to read up on Linux. I don't say this to be mean but rather to be helpful because Backtrack is not a linux distro for beginners.

The two folders bt3 and boot are for a compressed "live" filesystem normally placed on USB. A "real" linux file system has a directory tree consisting of many folders.

That being said I will try to help you. I'm assuming you got bt installed but if you did not yes the dual boot video by muts is by far the best way to install backtrack. That is our wiki and offesive security is a part of the community of remote exploit. It is the training branch for classes and such.

So next about your wireless card. what you have to do is right click on the menu entry and select edit. Then on the wiki bug page there will be new entries to put in the two feilds. It should be fairly obvious.

Just burned his ISO

Default My findings

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Wow! Okay lets start from square 1. Did you or did you not get back track installed? The difference in the file structure is pretty basic Linux so first off you may want to read up on Linux. I don't say this to be mean but rather to be helpful because Backtrack is not a linux distro for beginners.
    Yea sorry, wasn't clear, I installed BT3 but following the first tutorial (so I have my sda1 with windowsxp and my sda2 ext3 with bt). I'll read on linux file structure because I don't really understand why I can't access my /dev/sda2 (where bt is installed) via Konqueror. Probably a retard assumption to say that but I'm used to my windows install where I can browse my system file with explorer. Is there a way I can check if all the files are where they are suppose to be (since I didn't install BT3 according to the movie on offensive-security)? Would you advise reinstalling the movie way?

So next about your wireless card. what you have to do is right click on the menu entry and select edit. Then on the wiki there will be new entries to put in the two feilds. It should be fairly obvious.
    Yea for my wireless card, I played with the drivers and I was able to modify two little scripts to load the right drivers.

The first one in /usr/bin ipw3945.sh (to load the normal driver)
    #!/bin/bash
    echo "[*] Removing IPWRAW drivers"
    rmmod ipwraw
    rmmod mac80211
    echo "[*] Reinserting IPW3945 drivers (normal mode)"
    modprobe iwl3945
    modprobe mac80211
    # need to do ifconfig wlan0 up outside the script
    # and dhcpd wlan0
    And the second one ipw3945i.sh (to load the injection driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loykz's code
    #!/bin/bash
    echo "[*] Removing IPW3945 drivers"
    rmmod iwl3945
    rmmod mac80211
    echo "[*] Reinserting IPWRAW drivers (monitor mode)"
    modprobe ipwraw
    modprobe mac80211
    # need to do ifconfig wifi0 up outside the script
    Instead of:

ipw3945.sh:
    #!/bin/bash
    rmmod ipwraw
    rmmod iwl3945
    rmmod mac80211
    echo "[*] Reinserting IPW3945 drivers (normal mode)"
    modporbe iwl3945
    ipw3945i.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    rmmod ipwraw
    rmmod iwl3945
    rmmod mac80211
    echo "[*] Reinserting IPW3945 drivers (Packet Injection)"
    modprobe ipraw
    From my testing and poking around, my code works. (and as you can see there was some typos in the initial scripts). I would have like to automate the
    ifconfig [device] up
    but it seems like you need to give him a few miliseconds to load the driver (I'll have to see if there's a wait function... I'll also need to check what language is .sh). I also want to add some conditions because if I want to load the iwl3945 and the iwpraw is just not loaded, you'll get an error (which does nothing but it's not neat :P)

Developer

Once again youre going to need some basic linux skills which it seems you do not have.

Most of your work should be done from the command line.

cd / and then ls will show you your top level directories. If your install is working I would not mess with it. IN order to see your sda1 or 2 in konqurer you will have to mount them to a directory.

.sh is bash language. I would highly recomend a starter book on that. The command to wait is

sleep 5 (or whatever number of seconds you need)

And lastly the ipwraw drivers and the ill wifi drivers cannot be loaded at the same time. Its why the scripts are written in my fix on the wiki the way the are. If you use those as the menu entries one will always be loaded and you will never be able to load both drivers at the same time.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    The command to wait is

sleep 5 (or whatever number of seconds you need)
    Ok cool .

And lastly the ipwraw drivers and the ill wifi drivers cannot be loaded at the same time. Its why the scripts are written in my fix on the wiki the way the are. If you use those as the menu entries one will always be loaded and you will never be able to load both drivers at the same time.
    Uhm... yea I know, did you look at my code? It's almost the same as the one on the wiki except I'm reloading the mac driver in order to associate it with the new wireless driver. Elseway I can't inject or get an IP. Notice that I am removing the ill wifi then loading the ipwraw and vice versa.

Anyway, thanks for your help. That's all I needed.