Thread: Netgear WG511v2

Just burned his ISO

Red face Netgear WG511v2

Hello,
    Im a total n00b when it comes to linux, Im using a Netgear WG511v2 wireless card on my acer laptop and I havent a clue on how to get BT3 to recognise it. Ive searched google and this forum and found out that the card is shit and that BT does not plug and play it as it doesnt have the driver by default.

Im using the live CD as im using a shared laptop and other half doesnt want me installing linux to HDD. Is there any way I can get this card to work using the live cd?

Any help much apretiated! Cant wait to get BT3 up and running!!!

Thank you,
    Raz

That's because the WG511v2 runs the shitty Marvel chipset...... not supported

I recommend taking it back and if you're set on getting a Netgear PCI card (which is a good choice since the majority run the Atheros chipset - BT loves Atheros), then go for the v1 (prism54 drivers) or T cards or go with the WPN511 series cards. Any of them (WPN511, WPN511-Range Max, and WPN511GE) will work perfectly. All of those cards minus the WG511v1 run the Atheros chipset and use the Madwifi-ng drivers....

Hope that cleared it up for ya!!!

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by razta View Post
    Im using the live CD as im using a shared laptop and other half doesnt want me installing linux to HDD. Is there any way I can get this card to work using the live cd?
    Yes, you can use ndiswrapper for get to work your card, but you can't put into monitor mode

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your help. Im going to use NDISwrapper as I dont have enough money at present to buy a new wireless card. Trouble is, its a nightmare trying to find a tutorial for noobs on how to get it set up using a live cd, seen on some forums that they use a USB drive to run NDISwrapper and load the drivers. Will have to keep going in my search and hopefully will come across something soon. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe View Post
    Yes, you can use ndiswrapper for get to work your card, but you can't put into monitor mode
    Which is essentially pointless unless you are looking only for access to Algore's Interwebz

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill