Thread: Not sure where to put this, but how do I change the NAT setting to Open?

Default Not sure where to put this, but how do I change the NAT setting to Open?

How do I change the NAT on a router from Moderate to Open?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by unlazyfree View Post
    Wouldn't that depend upon which router you're talking about?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

That sounds suspiciously like wording that Bungie uses for Xbox 360 Halo 3.

From www.bungie.net/router

Q: What is NAT and why do I care about it?

A: In extremely simple terms, NAT (Network Address Translation) helps determine how your router interacts with the rest of the internet. If your NAT settings are restrictive, you may have problems connecting to other players. To test your settings, go to the Xbox 360 Dashboard and test your connection. At the bottom of the test results, you will see your ‘NAT Type.’ You want it to say ‘Open’ – if it says ‘Moderate’ or ‘Strict’ you may experience some problems.

If you're NAT settings display 'Moderate' or 'Strict,' you should consult your router's documentation, either online or in the instruction manual.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Another real life case of...RTFM!
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

After doing a few google searches I've only found this problem to occur with games and the chat clients they are using.

Prior to this I've only heard of 1 NAT setting, On or Off. I know what NAT does and how it does it.

I was about to ask the difference but I found the answer on wikipedia. The reason I wasn't finding it is because the actual terms are different than open, strict, or moderated.

But I am curious as to how you might figure out what type of NAT the router is using if the router doesn't specify this?
    My first thought would be to setup something in promiscious mode to sniff the traffic infront of and behind the router itself. Any easier solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    After doing a few google searches I've only found this problem to occur with games and the chat clients they are using.

Prior to this I've only heard of 1 NAT setting, On or Off. I know what NAT does and how it does it.

I was about to ask the difference but I found the answer on wikipedia. The reason I wasn't finding it is because the actual terms are different than open, strict, or moderated.

But I am curious as to how you might figure out what type of NAT the router is using if the router doesn't specify this?
    My first thought would be to setup something in promiscious mode to sniff the traffic infront of and behind the router itself. Any easier solutions?
    There are difference between NAT per se, and other firewall functions that are usually built into these devices.

First there is the NAT. You can use three different private addressing schemes specified by RFC 1918:

• 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10.0.0.0/8)
    • 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16.0.0/12)
    • 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168.0.0/16)

Most commercial NAT boxes out there will run the 192.168.x.x scheme.

One other thing that NAT boxes usually do it DHCP. It's usually tied to the NAT addressing scheme, but it's actually a whole other subject.

After that, there is the port firewall. Rather than sniffing the traffic, usually reading the manual for the application, or a couple of quick searches on a favorite search engine will typically show which service(s) and which UDP/TCP port(s) are needed by the particular applications. Then it's a matter of opening the ports or port ranges that are needed on the box.

Sniffing the traffic would, of course, be an option if searching failed, but that's never been an issue in my experience. Between a good, old RTFM and Mr. Google, I've always been able to figure out what ports need to be open.

Personally, I run very tight (i.e "closed") router whenever possible, and only open needed ports, and then only by looking carefully at the services. But then again, I am professionally paranoid by training and experience.
    Thorn

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Personally, I run very tight (i.e "closed") router whenever possible, and only open needed ports, and then only by looking carefully at the services. But then again, I am professionally paranoid by training and experience.
    Yep. Personally I construct a deny all policy and then objectively add rules thereafter (ICMP...? wtf is that )
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    That sounds suspiciously like wording that Bungie uses for Xbox 360 Halo 3.

From www.bungie.net/router
    I did search for the manual, but it didn't say anything about changing the configuration from moderate to open.

and to answer the question of whoever asked it

The reason I know it's moderated is when I test the connection on the xbox (one of the features), it tells me whether it's strict, moderated, or open.

I did search for the manual, but it didn't say anything about changing the configuration from moderate to open.
    Probably because very few manuals use those terms as hhmatt81 pointed out. Three questions:

• Do you know what "open" is on the context of whatever application you're attempting to run?
    • What is the application?
    • What is the make and model of the router?
    Thorn