Hey all,

I've noticed there are a lot of useless files in BT3 left over from the use of the vim/elvis editor. Whenever a file is changed, the editor leaves a filename~ copy of the original. To see how much space is actually wasted with these backups, run

find / \( -name '*~' -o -name '.*~' \) -exec du -ch {} +

I get 2.6MB of backups reported. To clean it up, all the developers would have to do is run the same command with rm -vf instead of du -ch.

Also wasting space (from my point of view, though it's useful for updating metasploit) are all the subversion and CVS directories.

find / \( -name '.svn' -o -name 'CVS' \) -exec du -ch {} + | grep total

gives me 116+83=199MB of files. My personal preference would also be to remove the i18n and l10n support, but I know it wouldn't go over so well for non-native English speakers, or those penetrating systems of non-English locale.

cd /usr/local/share/locale/
for loc in `/bin/ls -A1 --ignore=en*`; do if [ -d $loc/LC_MESSAGES ]; then find $loc \( -type f -o -type l \) -exec du -ch {} + ; fi; done | grep total | cut -dK -f1 | perl -e '$c=0; while(<>){$c+=$_;} print $c,"K\n";'

cd /usr/share/man/
for loc in `/bin/ls -A1 --ignore=man[1-9]*`; do find $loc/man[1-9] -type f -exec du -ch {} + ; done | grep total | cut -dK -f1 | perl -e '$c=0; while(<>){$c+=$_;} print $c,"K\n";'

I get about 31MB of i18n files. Just some suggestions for reducing the size of the distro.