Thread: Wasted space in BT3 (and 2)

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Wasted space in BT3 (and 2)

Hey all,

I've noticed there are a lot of useless files in BT3 left over from the use of the vim/elvis editor. Whenever a file is changed, the editor leaves a filename~ copy of the original. To see how much space is actually wasted with these backups, run

find / \( -name '*~' -o -name '.*~' \) -exec du -ch {} +

I get 2.6MB of backups reported. To clean it up, all the developers would have to do is run the same command with rm -vf instead of du -ch.

Also wasting space (from my point of view, though it's useful for updating metasploit) are all the subversion and CVS directories.

find / \( -name '.svn' -o -name 'CVS' \) -exec du -ch {} + | grep total

gives me 116+83=199MB of files. My personal preference would also be to remove the i18n and l10n support, but I know it wouldn't go over so well for non-native English speakers, or those penetrating systems of non-English locale.

cd /usr/local/share/locale/
    for loc in `/bin/ls -A1 --ignore=en*`; do if [ -d $loc/LC_MESSAGES ]; then find $loc \( -type f -o -type l \) -exec du -ch {} + ; fi; done | grep total | cut -dK -f1 | perl -e '$c=0; while(<>){$c+=$_;} print $c,"K\n";'

cd /usr/share/man/
    for loc in `/bin/ls -A1 --ignore=man[1-9]*`; do find $loc/man[1-9] -type f -exec du -ch {} + ; done | grep total | cut -dK -f1 | perl -e '$c=0; while(<>){$c+=$_;} print $c,"K\n";'

I get about 31MB of i18n files. Just some suggestions for reducing the size of the distro.

Developer

The reason Linux is Linux is because you can customize "YOUR" distro however you see fit.