Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P3 700mhz reporting at 547.998mhz

Just burned his ISO

Default P3 700mhz reporting at 547.998mhz

Greetings,

I have an IBM A21M laptop w/ a Pentium III (coppermine) its a 700 mhz but when I do a cat /proc/cpuinfo it reports the following
    processor 0
    vendor id genuineIntel
    cpu family 6
    model 8
    model name Pentium III (coppermine)
    stepping 6
    cpu mhz 547.998
    cache size 256kb
    fdiv bug no
    hlt bug no
    foof bug no
    coma buy no
    fpu yes
    fpu exception yes
    cpuid level 2
    wp yes
    flags fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
    bogomips 1096.96
    clflush size 32

Now, I've played in the bios for a 1/2 hour with speedstepping and max perf on cpu. The battery is shot, so I'm running on AC. Any thoughts / ideas on how to get a little bit more speed from the CPU? Running a live install with (dont cringe 128mb w/ swap) I will be adding more ram shortly, Oh yeah I'm running BT3 beta. I've also played around with power management and haven't gotten very far. I've searched and searched before asking. thanks

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

If your CPU cooling fan is running slow, then the processor is heating up and slowing itself down to prevent itself from burning up.

Chances are, in a machine that old, your fan is worn out. Replace it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

streaker69, thanks for taking the time to respond. I shutdown the system and let it cool down for several hours. I booted it up, logged in and see the same results 547.996mhz I don't think its a heat issue. Any another suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by mp3jeep View Post
    streaker69, thanks for taking the time to respond. I shutdown the system and let it cool down for several hours. I booted it up, logged in and see the same results 547.996mhz I don't think its a heat issue. Any another suggestions?
    It only takes a few seconds for the processor to come up to overheating temp.

Example: If you take the heatsink off of a modern day processor, and turn it on, within a few seconds, that processor will be hot enough to burn the skin right off a finger. (Trust me, the smell of burning flesh on a processor is not pleasant).
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Are you running it from the battery or the a/c adapter when you get these results?

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Are you running it from the battery or the a/c adapter when you get these results?
    Quote Originally Posted by OP's OP
    The battery is shot, so I'm running on AC.
    I believe he's on AC Power.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    It only takes a few seconds for the processor to come up to overheating temp.

Example: If you take the heatsink off of a modern day processor, and turn it on, within a few seconds, that processor will be hot enough to burn the skin right off a finger. (Trust me, the smell of burning flesh on a processor is not pleasant).
    So true, I actually had someone bring in thier pc the other day complaining about restarts. I started it up to see exactly where he was talking about and it didn't make it 1/4 of the way through post before it shutdown. (about 2 seconds max) That set off a red flag so I popped the cover open to see his heatsink tangled in the power wires coming from the power supply and the fan sitting at the bottom of the case. I thought this was quite strange since the fan screwed on. Anyways the processor was HOT, you could smell it and see the dark color where the heatsink was supposed to make contact.

EDIT:

He may just want to get a can of compressed air and try cleaning it out for some better airflow. Most of these old PC's are clogged full of dust bunnies.

Just burned his ISO

Ok, I'll experiment with a few things. I wonder if i run a power cord out to my car and duct tape a cardboard tube to the AC vent to the port on the back of the laptop if that would cool the cpu enough to see if my speed changes.

I figured if let it cool and boot it up under 2 minutes the cpu would be still cool. I guess not.

I'll report back, thanks again for the input.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mp3jeep View Post
    Ok, I'll experiment with a few things. I wonder if i run a power cord out to my car and duct tape a cardboard tube to the AC vent to the port on the back of the laptop if that would cool the cpu enough to see if my speed changes.
    You could do this however I would go with the compressed air. This might be a bit easier. If money is the issue then you could always take the laptop apart and have a look at things.
    I would clean out any and all dust bunnies and then I would check to see if the fan works still ( caution not to shock yourself)
    Like others have said a little spring cleaning may be all you need.
    Then maybe try the old a/c trick.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    You could do this however I would go with the compressed air. This might be a bit easier. If money is the issue then you could always take the laptop apart and have a look at things.
    I would clean out any and all dust bunnies and then I would check to see if the fan works still ( caution not to shock yourself)
    Like others have said a little spring cleaning may be all you need.
    Then maybe try the old a/c trick.
    Just a word of warning. Use canned Compressed air, do not use air from an air compressor, as the air from standard air compressor has a tendency to be rather high in moisture, and sometimes oil, and that's the last thing you'd need to be shooting into a computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast