Thread: Looking for Hard Drive Wipe utility (Found "wipe", are there others?)

Just burned his ISO

Default Looking for Hard Drive Wipe utility (Found "wipe", are there others?)

Hello everyone. I'm new to Backtack (I'm trying Version 3 beta out right now and I love it!), and I am pretty comfortable with Ubuntu and probably about Linux distro in general.

I'm looking for a simple hard drive wiping utility that can be run inside of Backtrack. I found the wipe program included with Backtrack. Are there others available in Backtrack? A client of mine has several laptops that may need to be wiped. I believe they're going to be sold via state surplus, so they'll be going into the public, so any confidential data on the drives must be cleaned off.

Developer

There are lots of utilities for this however I rather like nuke disc. Its a stand alone disc though not for running in BT.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    There are lots of utilities for this however I rather like nuke disc. Its a stand alone disc though not for running in BT.
    Never heard it called that before.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

You might want to check out GDisk also. I only use the standalone application although I think its available with some packages.