Thread: Noob questions

Just burned his ISO

Default Noob questions

I'm new to linux and backtrack. I have a micro$ft MN-510 usb wireless adapter. I know that it uses the prism 2 drivers (wlan-ng) from what I've read so far. My question is, if the wireless lights are on, and iwconfig shows my sid of my router. Is it good to go? I haven't tried to install any drivers. Also when I use Airoscript, when I attempt to scan, the screen just flickers for a second and then nothing. I have done a fair amount of reading but just can't grasp the steps to install the correct drivers for my adapter, and the required commands to get it done and have it scan and so on. I also used wifislax 3.0 with the same results however, can't start airodump which says can't enter monitor mode. I'm sure these questions have been asked elsewhere, but was really hoping I could download a distro from someone you has it compiled to use a mn-510. But learning is fun l.o.l

Quote Originally Posted by anjen View Post
    I'm new to linux and backtrack. I have a micro$ft MN-510 usb wireless adapter. I know that it uses the prism 2 drivers (wlan-ng) from what I've read so far. My question is, if the wireless lights are on, and iwconfig shows my sid of my router. Is it good to go? I haven't tried to install any drivers. Also when I use Airoscript, when I attempt to scan, the screen just flickers for a second and then nothing. I have done a fair amount of reading but just can't grasp the steps to install the correct drivers for my adapter, and the required commands to get it done and have it scan and so on. I also used wifislax 3.0 with the same results however, can't start airodump which says can't enter monitor mode. I'm sure these questions have been asked elsewhere, but was really hoping I could download a distro from someone you has it compiled to use a mn-510. But learning is fun l.o.l
    Remove your card, the reinsert it. Do a dmesg and see what the results are.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";