Thread: dhcpd

Hybrid View

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Default dhcpd

I'm trying to get a dhcp server running on bt3 using dhcpd. I went to isc.org and downloaded the latest version and installed it. Then I created my .conf and .leases files. I edited my .conf file following the guideline from a few examples so that all addresses are properly sent out. Whenever I try to run it I get this error.

Code:
    Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
    Error opening '/proc/net/if_inet6' to list IPv6 interfaces; No such file or directory
    Can't get list of interfaces.
    So I try to start it using
    dhcpd -f -4 ath0
    This is apparently supposed to use ipv4 only but it still doesn't work.

I've searched google over and over and haven't found anything that has any sort of solutions or answers to this error and I was hoping that maybe someone here has experienced something like this before or knows how to resolve this issue. If noone knows how to resolve this, Is there any other way to accomplish this?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    I'm trying to get a dhcp server running on bt3 using dhcpd. I went to isc.org and downloaded the latest version and installed it. Then I created my .conf and .leases files. I edited my .conf file following the guideline from a few examples so that all addresses are properly sent out. Whenever I try to run it I get this error.

Code:
    Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
    Error opening '/proc/net/if_inet6' to list IPv6 interfaces; No such file or directory
    Can't get list of interfaces.
    So I try to start it using
    dhcpd -f -4 ath0
    This is apparently supposed to use ipv4 only but it still doesn't work.

I've searched google over and over and haven't found anything that has any sort of solutions or answers to this error and I was hoping that maybe someone here has experienced something like this before or knows how to resolve this issue. If noone knows how to resolve this, Is there any other way to accomplish this?
    Did you try disabling IPv6 in your resolve.conf?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I tried these 2 commands:
    Code:
    echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
    Code:
    echo "alias IPv6 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
    do these require a reboot? or should I just manually edit the file?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    I tried these 2 commands:
    Code:
    echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
    Code:
    echo "alias IPv6 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
    do these require a reboot? or should I just manually edit the file?
    Everything that I read said about editing the file. So I guess that's what you should do. I'm guessing you probably ran across the same singular forum post with the exact same error message but no solution?

I googled for dhcpd.conf +ipv6 and a couple of posts lead to resolve.conf causing the problem.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

How do I remove ipv6 if those commands didnt work?

I checked the file again and it had those lines in there then I rebooted and am still getting the same errors.

Almost everything I ran into had something along the lines of adding those 2 lines into that file or editing what is already in there.

I don't understand the resolv.conf file has 1 line in it:
    Code:
    nameserver 192.168.1.1
    I think thats for a different network interface alltogether but I can't be certain because there is nothing in that file that says which interface its linked to. Although there are files in that directory which are linked to the interface but have a .sv file extension. I'm guessing those are backup files or save files.

I just thought I would update the situation here.
    DHCPD was looking for ipv6 which is not enabled by bt3. What I had to do was go to the website and find the changelog to figure out when dhcpd first started ipv6 in thier program and get the previous version. Basically if you want to run dhcpd on bt3 you will want the last 3.x version. I downloaded 3.1.1b1 and it worked just fine. If anyone is interested as to how you get it to work I can post on how I had accomplished this. It should most likely be the same in bt2 and bt3. I don't understand why dhcpd 4.0 and above will not accept the "dhcpd -4" command since the man pages state that the -4 switch uses ipv4 only. Hopefully they get this right in later versions!
    This was tested on a wired and wireless interface. The wireless uses madwifi drivers but I doubt it matters too much as long as you can get your card into master mode.