Thread: Kismet showing odd AP, not sure what it is

Default Kismet showing odd AP, not sure what it is

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this AP I'm seeing on my Kismet screen.

It's saying linksys, it's all in defaults (factory config) and in red, has no clients connected to it at all... and when sorting Kismet via Signal Power level, it is fluctuating between the closest and my AP, which is a ddwrt 70mW output 5 feet away with 2x 9db omnis on it.

My AP has always been the top, regardless. In addition, the only other closest AP I've seen is my neighbors which is a slender reed compared to my signal.

The only thing I'm certain of is that it's sort of rainy / snowy outside and I know that can help signals.

I booted my work laptop and then restarted my other home into windows. Both of them are not able to 'browse' to it.

After fartin around and getting this post made - now the phantom 'linksys' is at the bottom of the signal pile, like it's just dead.

Did I see some sort of AP cantenna or something aimed squarely between my eyes?

Cool info but I don't quite get it.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Ad-hoc would be my guess...
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

I thought it an adhoc network also, but the flags in Kismet didn't indicate this.

Part of the 'problem' I see is in Kismet, but I've searched but not been able to find something that would cause something like this. I'm suspecting it's a false positive and that Kismet isn't able to sort this AP by power level in the list.

Below is the screenshot - the AP I'm referring to is in red. Mine is called 'Netaddicted'

Keep in mind again, I'm sorting by signal power.

Are you located need Google ?

From your posted Pic:
    SSID: Linksys
    IP: 72.14.219.147
    Tracing route to ed-in-f147.google.com [72.14.219.147]

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    Are you located need Google ?

From your posted Pic:
    SSID: Linksys
    IP: 72.14.219.147
    Tracing route to ed-in-f147.google.com [72.14.219.147]
    Isn't everyone near 'Google'? No, nothing like that I wouldn't know because I wasn't asking about that linksys WAP...

So the one WAP in red came back, but this time it's got 15 different clients associated with it. My suspicion is maybe that it's running a Captive Portal and it's multiplexing (not sure the proper word when in regards to WIFI, but when more than one AP is working together for the same connection) with another WAP.

I've then concluded that either:
    Kismet is lying regarding signal power levels
    -OR-
    It may be the ass end of the USI wireless that is being installed in the City of Minneapolis and they are lollygaging around with power levels.