Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best USB or PCI wireless card

Default Re: Best USB or PCI wireless card

Quote Originally Posted by BACKonTRACK View Post
    Does the alfa networks adapter have the same problem or do they have a heatsink installed from factory to solve this problem?
    Nope, the Alfa adapter doesn't have this problem and it doesn't have a heatsink installed from factory. It works flawlessly, at least for me.

Just burned his ISO

Yea the Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW USB wireless adapter is the best way to go. I bought mine from eBay for 35.50 with a 5dBi and 9dBi antennas, worth every penny. Does any know what the difference is concerning the Alfa AWUS036H-V5? Thats the one I bought but does it still work out of the box?

Just burned his ISO

Amazon has two Alfa AWUS036H one is 500ml that includes a 2dBi antenna and the other is 1000ml that includes a 9dBi antenna for about the same price. Is there a reason not to get the 1000ml?

Amazon.com: Alfa AWUS036H: Electronics

thanks
    Danny

Just burned his ISO

like they said, it doens't matter if it's 500 or 1000, it depends on the strength of the reciever, so, i think the one with the better antenna, so it might be able to pick up signals better

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Go with the 1w AWUS036H.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by kraxein View Post
    like they said, it doens't matter if it's 500 or 1000, it depends on the strength of the reciever, so, i think the one with the better antenna, so it might be able to pick up signals better
    The one with the better antenna is the 1000mW version. As far as I know, the antenna is what differs in both versions.

I have the AWUS036H (the original), and recently bought a new adapter from dealextreme. It has the same chipset as my original awus, and 1000mW power, and it works pretty well. (yes, I now have 2 high powered adapters, I'm a sucker for wifi). Here's the link: DealExtreme: $21.76 802.11g 54Mbps High Power 1000mW USB 2.0 WiFi Wireless Network Dongle (it even has the backtrack dragon on it lol). It comes with a 6 or 7 dBi omni which is pretty decent too.

However, if you're serious, get the 16 dBi directional antenna from the same site. I've done some rangetesting (1000mW + yagi directional <-> integrated dell card), and we got a good-great signal at 750 meters with a line of sight! (our walkie talkies lost signal after that....).

Just burned his ISO

Is it the same as this one:
    Link: RealTek 1000mW USB WiFi Adapter: Very Long Range, w/ RP-SMA Jack & 5dBi Antenna,

I heard that imitation Alfas are not as good as the real one.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Citruspers View Post
    I have the AWUS036H (the original), and recently bought a new adapter from dealextreme. It has the same chipset as my original awus, and 1000mW power, and it works pretty well. (yes, I now have 2 high powered adapters, I'm a sucker for wifi). Here's the link: DealExtreme: $21.76 802.11g 54Mbps High Power 1000mW USB 2.0 WiFi Wireless Network Dongle (it even has the backtrack dragon on it lol). It comes with a 6 or 7 dBi omni which is pretty decent too.

However, if you're serious, get the 16 dBi directional antenna from the same site. I've done some rangetesting (1000mW + yagi directional <-> integrated dell card), and we got a good-great signal at 750 meters with a line of sight! (our walkie talkies lost signal after that....).
    Last edited by thecensor; 08-01-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

I have not used the imitations myself, but I think I know a User who has I will see if i can get him to come by and add some input.
    PS the card you linked to is 500mw, and does not have the dragon on it, it is not the imitation from dx .
    Last edited by killadaninja; 08-01-2010 at 05:12 AM.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

There's later and greater Alfa models but until they are explicitly supported by aircrack-ng/backtrack, stick with the awus036h
    proud user of backtrack-ng and aircrack-linux

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast