Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network adapter compatible?

Default Network adapter compatible?

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505. In Device Manager it says I have a Broadcom 400x (or 40x) 10/100 Network Adapter. When I go into backtrack 2, it says it doesn't find a network device. How can I fix that?

You should check the HCL on the wiki and buy a well supported card

If your card has no supported driver then you can only use it with the likes of ndiswrapper, which means you will only have basic connectivity capability only.

I've got the same laptop and the broadcom driver works very well with Backtrack.

Can you provide more details as to what you've done and the results.

Quote Originally Posted by level View Post
    I've got the same laptop and the broadcom driver works very well with Backtrack.

Can you provide more details as to what you've done and the results.
    I didn't configure any settings at all. I just booted into Backtrack 2 and went to the wifi manager or something like that and it said it doesn't find a network adapter. I tried opening Kismet but it just closes. What should I do?

The broadcom should show up as eth1 or possibly eth0 when you type this command:

iwconfig

I don't use a wifi manager, but there are plenty of threads about configuring a wireless card. Xatar has a good post about networking.

For kismet I use the following:

kismet -c bcm43xx,eth1,bcm

Of course you may need to change eth1, and bcm can be anything you want.

Quote Originally Posted by level View Post
    The broadcom should show up as eth1 or possibly eth0 when you type this command:

iwconfig

I don't use a wifi manager, but there are plenty of threads about configuring a wireless card. Xatar has a good post about networking.

For kismet I use the following:

kismet -c bcm43xx,eth1,bcm

Of course you may need to change eth1, and bcm can be anything you want.
    The thing is, I can't open kismet because it just closes right away. I pressed the FN butto and then pressed F2 which turns Wifi on and off but the light is just always off in BT2. What should I do to get my adapter to work?

If it's supported in BT2 you may have to edit your /usr/local/kismet.conf file to suit the card/chipset.
    There's lots of help/references to this around the forums

Quote Originally Posted by yomama07024 View Post
    The thing is, I can't open kismet because it just closes right away. I pressed the FN butto and then pressed F2 which turns Wifi on and off but the light is just always off in BT2. What should I do to get my adapter to work?
    You need to do your research on the individual issues that you're having, that have all been answered many times before. 1 step at a time.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    You need to do your research on the individual issues that you're having, that have all been answered many times before. 1 step at a time.
    Well I'm new here. Would you mind giving me a link to a site that would explain how to get it to work?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by yomama07024 View Post
    Well I'm new here. Would you mind giving me a link to a site that would explain how to get it to work?
    Oh, you're new, well, then that changes everything.

Here ya go, this link should do it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast