Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMWare or Dule Boot

Default VMWare or Dule Boot

Ok, I have a new laptop with Vista on it. I have Windows XP, Backtrack 3 live CD, and VMware 6 workstation for Windows and Linix

I have used VMware before and know how to set it up and setup duel boot systems, etc etc

My question is; has anyone explored using Vista in VMware? Which in your opnion would be best;

1. Duel boot Vista and BT3 (SLAX) and run XP in VMware
    2. Duel boot Vista and XP and run BT3 in VMware on both
    3. Duel boot XP and BT3 and run XP in VMware on both
    4. Run XP and run BT3 and Vista in VMware
    5. Run BT3 amd run Vista and XP in VMware
    6. Run Vista and run BT3 and XP in VMware

I spent some time trying to get VMWare to work reliably within Vista, and failed miserably. Since then I've asked many industry 'professionals' who have all said (without any hesitation) that I shouldn't have wasted my time. VMWare itself appears to run just fine in Vista, Vista just doesn't play nicely with the VMWare images that run within it.

Since then we've ditched Vista and we're planning on developing a build standard that is based on Windows XP Pro.

My plan is to use an XP Pro SP2 host, fully patched and locked down, and then to build whatever 'virtual' machines we need for day to day work (initially XP Pro SP2 with tools installed, and BT2).

I'm expecting to see some degredation in the performance of the various tools (especially Nessus) within VMWare, but as we're mainly going to be working in a lab environment I'm not expecting that we'll take too much of a hit.

If it all becomes too slow/unweildy/unmanageable we will just go back to dual-booting XP Pro SP2 with BT2 (or similar).

Hope that's useful to you

3. Duel boot XP and BT3 and run XP in VMware on both

Dual Boot XP and BackTrack3 and then use VMware for whatever else
    you might not need. Or no, wait! Delete everything! And here comes option 7!!!

7. Install Slackware 12.0, Update it (takes ages to download i think), then install
    the cool tools from BackTrack and maybe some more! You can basicly compile
    ANYTHING on Slackware!! Tadaaaa
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

7. Install Slackware 12.0, Update it (takes ages to download i think), then install the cool tools from BackTrack and maybe some more! You can basicly compile ANYTHING on Slackware!! Tadaaaa
    Install Slax 12 from scratch or use the BT3 Live install?

You should use XP if you want to use a Windows OS. Vista is just not worth it. Too big, too many bling bling, too many nagging "Are you really sure" dialogs and so on.

Not sure what you need Windows for, if you want to play a game occasionally you should dual boot XP and BT3 and also have an image of XP in a VMWare under BT3 for testing purposes.

I think that or instead of BT3 using Slax like MaXe suggested.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I think you have to start with your specific needs and then confirm a combination that is right for you.

In my case, I do intensive 3D gaming on a high end laptop so I start with an XP Professional host o/s system to satisfy the gaming needs.

I hate dual boot because of the number of times I have butchered the MBR.

I tried 3-4 vmware software programs and finally settled on vmware 6.02 as smooth, stable, and consistent. Some vitual ware were far from workable.

Added BT3Beta as guest system via vmware with the host XP o/s.

Very smooth. Only small limitation is that pcmcia cards are not recognized on vmware. USB wireless dongles only.

So, "what is your objective?" should be the driving question.

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Too big, too many bling bling,
    "Adjust for best performance" is a quick fix for that, followed by a run through the services, and maybe some registry editing.

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    too many nagging "Are you really sure" dialogs and so on.
    Turn UAC off.

i would suggest a dual boot with linux and xp
    you can install on both vmware for using bt
    does someone know if i could store the files of the vmware from the linux partion and use them also in the xp vmware?

I prefer to use VMWare because I have an external USB wifi adapter (ALFA AWUSB036H), so I can use all my normal stuff and built-in wireless card for other things while I'm working with Backtrack. But then again I'm not using stinky bull poopy Vista, I'm using Mac OS X. I recommend using XP Pro, or better yet, OS X instead of Vista and going VMWare unless your hardware just precludes that option because of compatibility.

We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. –Robert Wilensky

BT with winxp dual boot is good choice so far i found BT to be the best linux version out there with slackware however if you going for dual boot use lilo and dont use grub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast