Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MS fined yet again

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...apable_emails/

http://www.wired.com/software/coolap.../08/ooxml_vote

http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspo...tent-sudo.html
    then
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...ovell_patents/

And these are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

If I believed they got there by playing straight I would agree, but in my eyes they got there through dirty underhanded stuff, so I personally don't have a problem with bigger organisations jumping in.

Just my opinion.
    wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy90 View Post
    If I believed they got there by playing straight I would agree, but in my eyes they got there through dirty underhanded stuff, so I personally don't have a problem with bigger organisations jumping in.
    Playing it straight has never been on m$'s agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn
    Let me see if I have this right: MS developed something, the babies cried foul, and then the government says that MS has to give up code that they spent resources on developing in the first place. So the EU government stepped in and made a really bad decision? This is exactly way governments shouldn't screw around with market conditions. Why isn't the EU protecting MS's interests and telling the babies to spend their own time and resources to figure it out themselves?

MS should tell the EU to shove it. Sideways.
    When you have a company that is (was) a monopoly that steals technology and forces a world standard, there has to be a point where the code has to be released. I for one do not believe that any company should have a monopoly on anything and my (and other) governments think the same.

Go ahead and call me a m$ hater: I am. This isn't exactly an m$ distro forum so I reserve that right, which I feel I've earned after having spent thousands of dollars on their products... not to mention the products such as AV's / firewalls that are needed to run the OS somewhat safely.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by Andy90 View Post
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...apable_emails/

http://www.wired.com/software/coolap.../08/ooxml_vote

http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspo...tent-sudo.html
    then
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...ovell_patents/

And these are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Just my opinion.
    Could you define "playing it straight" and point out what exactly MS has doen wrong? None of those stories illustrate anything illegal or unethical. If anything it would appear that they used legal means (such as the ISO and US Patent office) to play according to the rules.

As far as the hardware standard for Vista being revised, I fail to see any point whatsoever. They revised product specs (if they actually did revise them, the story isn't exactly clear), for whatever reason, and no matter what the reason for the revision, it's their product, and they can do what they want with it.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    When you have a company that is (was) a monopoly that steals technology and forces a world standard, there has to be a point where the code has to be released. I for one do not believe that any company should have a monopoly on anything and my (and other) governments think the same.
    Right there we have a fundamental disagreement. As I stated before in the thread, in my opinion, government should never become involved in the market place. Again, in my opinion, it's one of the biggest problems with the world today.

Seriously, read Atlas Shrugged, and get introduced to Objectivism.

Go ahead and call me a m$ hater: I am. This isn't exactly an m$ distro forum so I reserve that right, which I feel I've earned after having spent thousands of dollars on their products... not to mention the products such as AV's / firewalls that are needed to run the OS somewhat safely.
    You certainly are welcome to your opinion. I do find it interesting that despite your avowed hatred of MS, you still find that you need to buy and use their products.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Could you define "playing it straight" and point out what exactly MS has doen wrong? None of those stories illustrate anything illegal or unethical. If anything it would appear that they used legal means (such as the ISO and US Patent office) to play according to the rules.

As far as the hardware standard for Vista being revised, I fail to see any point whatsoever. They revised product specs (if they actually did revise them, the story isn't exactly clear), for whatever reason, and no matter what the reason for the revision, it's their product, and they can do what they want with it.
    With all due respect, and i don't want this to come across flaming/nasty... are you serious?

They lowered the spec for Vista (yes yes I'm a doubter, but if MS stood to make $x,000,000 then they would **** their own grannies) to make intel happy, they didn't give a poop about the performance, yes on the flip side it may go against their image but who cares? no one else even comes close to the domination they have. My point is they looked after another company other than their customers, they went against ethics.

They bribed people to side with them in the standards... correct me if im wrong but organisations meet and decide standards for the better (in theory). Imagine this, just in theory: MS know how to make software, they prob also know how to make it exactly to benefit them. Imagine this, they bend the standard one way towards a patent then secretly own. Two years later when everyone else has adapted they release the patent and fine everyone. Or imagine this, they bend the standards as it fits their other software better. Yes they own the market share so anything that keeps things running smoothly is good for people and business, their business. My point is its not for them to decide a world standard. I also remember reading something ages ago that AD was not x400 compatiable (or something) etc... but have no links or anything to back it up.

They tried to patent a similar version of sudo? after linux had it for 30years ish? And with the next story about how they threaten to sue, cannot you not see the room for unethical behaviour there?

You could argue they are within the law, but the point of the thread is that EU they obv didnt (no im no 100% up on the story). And dont forget, the law was written by man for man. The 30Mph speed limit in UK was not created before people started driving over 30Mph.... murder wasnt against the law until people did it etc... I know its a wierd point but im trying to point out that we make the laws after people start to abuse stuff. Therefore imho by defintion the law is outdated. It is also created by man and therefore is not only faluable, but common sense should over rule it where it has flaws as no rule is 100% accurate, there are always loop holes and room for abuse.

To me this lot above, is the last sentence, the law should follow common sense as that is there law was derived from,

And just as something is legal does not mean it is right. I have taken these from other sites, this does not mean they are guaranteed 100% accurate but I have heard them many times from many sources (including national radio) so believe there is some truth to them:
    In London, Hackney taxis must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.

In Hereford, you may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close.

It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full coat of armour.

.....you get the point.

Wow, fingers killing lol
    wtf?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Playing it straight has never been on m$'s agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster's
    mo·nop·o·ly /məˈnɒpəli/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muh-nop-uh-lee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun, plural -lies.
    1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. Compare duopoly, oligopoly.
    2. an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.
    3. the exclusive possession or control of something.
    4. something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.
    5. a company or group that has such control.
    6. the market condition that exists when there is only one seller.
    7. (initial capital letter) a board game in which a player attempts to gain a monopoly of real estate by advancing around the board and purchasing property, acquiring capital by collecting rent from other players whose pieces land on that property.
    Exactly how are they a monopoly? They are a large company, yes, they do control the price of their OWN products, but they do not control the pricing for other products. There are other products on the market that people are free to use, at least that's what I keep hearing from the *nix crowds. Apparently these products are just as good as MS products, so how are they a monopoly? I know that the whole argument came about when they embedded IE into the OS, but again, how did that make them a Monopoly? Netscape was going strong and was a good contender in the browser area, they failed miserably because they got sucked into the blackhole known as AOHell. That wasn't MS's fault either.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

OK it's time to get this back to the healthy discussion it started out with, rather than the usual MS bashing, my distro is better than yours, speculation and politics. None of which is needed here.

Any more, and I will put an end to it.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    OK it's time to get this back to the healthy discussion it started out with, rather than the usual MS bashing, my distro is better than yours, speculation and politics. None of which is needed here.

Any more, and I will put an end to it.
    All due respect, I believe this is on topic. We're directly discussing why MS got fined by the EU. Someone mentioned they were a Monopoly, I just questioned why they would call them that.

I honestly believe that you jump the gun sometimes regarding threads and they're being off topic.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    All due respect, I believe this is on topic. We're directly discussing why MS got fined by the EU. Someone mentioned they were a Monopoly, I just questioned why they would call them that.

I honestly believe that you jump the gun sometimes regarding threads and they're being off topic.
    I could have predicted that typical response.

I never said it was off topic, only that the usual MS bashing, OS war, speculation over the way MS does business and the politics were not needed here.

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    I could have predicted that typical response.

I never said it was off topic, only that the usual MS bashing, OS war, speculation over the way MS does business and the politics were not needed here.
    My point is, that's right at the heart of the whole thing on EU fining MS, isn't it?

I don't think that there's been any real OS bashing, just comparisons between the way people view things.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast