Thread: Services not starting on reboot (saved with modules)

Default Services not starting on reboot (saved with modules)

I've noticed in BT3 Beta that if you start services such as VNC and SSH with FastTrack, then save a module of the session, upon reboot they will no longer be technically open, i.e. are refused connections, but they are open on a port scan. If I then re-open them using fast-track, they will work fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

-Stephen

Default yep

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix910 View Post
    I've noticed in BT3 Beta that if you start services such as VNC and SSH with FastTrack, then save a module of the session, upon reboot they will no longer be technically open, i.e. are refused connections, but they are open on a port scan. If I then re-open them using fast-track, they will work fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

-Stephen
    Stephen,

That is by design, Fast-Track only starts the service for you, it doesn't enable them upon default on boot. It only starts a pid of that specific service, when you reboot those pids would no longer be started. You can edit your rc.d scripts to start the services on reboot fairly easy.. From a security perspective you only want these services up when you need them, generally keep them off.

Alright, thanks for that info. Yeah, I have the SSH enabled on my flash drive for when I'm pentesting and leave it on for a while and need to access that machine from elsewhere.

-Stephen