Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Exploit

Default Laptop Exploit

An article was just released concerning a memory hack for laptops over the weekend. Attackers can grab a laptop, put it in sleep mode, then extract data from the memory chips before it fades.

My professor just played a video on it, and asked all the groups in class to find a method of blocking it.

Anyone else hear of this exploit, or have any ideas on how it can be prevented?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by GunMonkey View Post
    An article was just released concerning a memory hack for laptops over the weekend. Attackers can grab a laptop, put it in sleep mode, then extract data from the memory chips before it fades.

My professor just played a video on it, and asked all the groups in class to find a method of blocking it.

Yeah, learn situational awareness and don't let your laptop get stolen.

Remember, good security starts with you.

My personal feeling about people that allow company laptops to get stolen is that if it happens, that employee should be made personally responsible for 5x the cost of the laptop, deducted from their paycheck.

Maybe then people will decide to take some responsibility for the stuff that a company allows them to use.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Sorry I'm not willing to do your homework for you.

There is no silver platter, there is no big red magic h4x0r 1t n0w button.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Default Blocking?

The best way to block something is to not get into it in the first place - just don't lose your laptop.
    Duh?

Oh, and if I remember right, this was developed by Princeton students. That may help if you search for anything.

Physical security
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Remember, good security starts with you.
    Although the above is true it sounds like a PSA.
    My personal feeling about people that allow company laptops to get stolen is that if it happens, that employee should be made personally responsible for 5x the cost of the laptop, deducted from their paycheck.
    Maybe then people will decide to take some responsibility for the stuff that a company allows them to use.
    Or make the employees pay for the loss of equipment and an estimated value of the loss of the data.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    Although the above is true it sounds like a PSA.
    Sorry, I have an almost 4 yr old and a 2.5 yr old we spend a lot of time watching PBS.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Sorry I'm not willing to do your homework for you.

There is no silver platter, there is no big red magic h4x0r 1t n0w button.
    I recall asking for ideas, not a full paper that I can copy and paste from.

Thus far my group has come up with:

A) modifying the acceptable usage policy
    B) disabling boot to USB abilities via bios (would only stop onsite hacks, not stolen laptops).
    C) order laptops with TPM chips
    D) Disable sleep mode

B) disabling boot to USB abilities via bios (would only stop onsite hacks, not stolen laptops).
    D) Disable sleep mode
    Modifying the acceptable usage policy is only good if it's enforced.

User education is the most important factor in this kind of attack, as the attacker actually has to steal the equipment while it's either powered on or in sleep mode. Disabling sleep mode is just going to piss off some higher executives (in the real world).

The weakest link in all computer based security issues is the human being.

Place GPS tracking device inside Laptop Case {for added security connect to C4 charge GPS device that triggers them signal goes outside set range}.

Adapt one of the dog shock collars and attach to the laptop MB, RAM & HD.

And to stop the freezing on the RAM exploit use a glue-gun to seal the ram into the socket can do the same for the HD.

D) Disable sleep mode

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast