Thread: NVidia Drivers and CUDA *Complete Guide*

Default NVidia Drivers and CUDA *Complete Guide*

Hello everybody,

I saw many guys here are interested in the CUDA "thing". Though there is already an excellent step-by-step how to by Pureh@te, but there are few issues that slip in after installing the NVidia drivers which is mostly seen in laptops and latest graphics like the one I have on my Sony Vaio VPCCW15FG laptop is the GeForce 210M. The commonly seen problems are:

- Low Screen Resolution
    - Blank Screen or Monitor Turns Off
    - Incorrect Refresh Rate
    - Nvidia Kernel Module Install Failure

like this one:

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Feb 1 21:58:20 2010
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.30.9/kernel/drivers/video/nvidi\
    a.ko): No such device
    (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
    (EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
    (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
    (EE) No drivers available.
    The following steps of workaround shall solve the problem:

1. Download and install the windows tool called softMCCS from hxxp : // www. entechtaiwan .com/ files / softmccs.exe (remove spaces)

2. Start the tool which looks like this

Then Goto File > Save EDID As and save the file as a youredid.bin file as shown below:

3. Download the latest NVidia driver for your GPU model from the NVidia website hxxp :// www. nvidia .com / Download / index.aspx?lang=en You can always do an

Code:
    apt-get install nvidia-driver
    but for me the driver at the nvidia website is more new.

4. Boot into BackTrack then copy the downloaded driver to the /root/ directory and the EDID (.bin) file to the /etc/X11/ directory.

5. In Konsole, make the driver, usually a (.run) file, executable by issuing the command

Code:
    chmod 755 nvidia-driver-filename.run
    6. Now we have everything ready to start the installation. Press Alt+Ctrl+Backspace to leave the X server and return to the Console.

7. Now that we are in the root directory, to start the driver installation, just issue the command

Code:
    ./nvidia-driver-filename.run
    and follow the onscreen instructions.

8. Now when its done, if you are not lucky, the xorg.conf file is messed up. To have a quick check type

Code:
    startx
    if you get the KDE desktop after you see a NVidia splash screen facing you everything is fine. But if its not the case, you need the do the following:

- Edit the xorg.conf file as

Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    - Goto the Device Section, identified as

Section "Device"
    - Add the following lines, omit if any of them is already present,

Code:
        Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
        Option         "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option         "Coolbits" "1"
        Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
        Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/youredid.bin"
    - Goto the Device Section, identified as

Section "Screen"
    - Add the following lines, omit if any of them is already present,

Code:
        Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
        Option         "TwinView" "0"
        Option         "metamodes" "1366x768_60 +0+0"
    NOTE: The 1366x768 is your the max. screen resolution, edit accordingly if necessary.
    - Save the xorg.conf, only after backing up your old xorg.conf file and exit nano.

9. Goto Konsole and issue the old
    Code:
    startx
    10. If everything worked well, which is most of the cases will, you will be welcomed by a cool Nvidia logo.

11. After you are in KDE issue the command, in Konsole

Code:
    nvidia-settings
    and you shall see a GUI based configuration utility for your GPU. There you can even overclock the card, but obviously AT YOUR OWN RISK! This option is visible due to the line
    Code:
    Option         "Coolbits" "1"
    you dded the xorg.conf file.

12. Then to install CUDA, use the command

Code:
    apt-get install cuda-toolkit
    13. You can also install the CUDA SDK, if you are a programmer and wants to write programs using the CUDA architecture by using

Code:
    apt-get install cuda-sdk
    14. All done and time for that CUDA powered WPA2, MD5, NTLM etc. cracking.

Thanks for reading. Feedbacks invited. Please be kind for any mistakes.

Default Re: NVidia Drivers and CUDA *Complete Guide*

I had trouble installing cuda/nvidia driver i got the driver working with envy-ng but cuda failed to install properly ill test your workaround out hope it works
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

trellis

-> aptitude install backtrack-nvidia ; startx

Developer

Once again I would like to throw in here that installing nvidia-drivers from source will break some of the other CUDA tools because they have the nvidia-driver package as a dependency.

I also think it kinda crappy to say the *complete* guide, but whatever.
    Last edited by purehate; 02-06-2010 at 07:40 AM.

First of all, I think you need to be givin some props to pureh@te for all the work he did putting together other CUDA tutorials. I'm sure he spent a while on it and it's definitely more "complete" than this.

Second of all, I agree with trellis' recommendations. I had a bunch of problems trying to get the nvidia drivers to work with bt4, but someone suggested aptitude install backtrack-nvidia and this solved all of my problems. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Once again I would like to throw in here that installing nvidia-drivers from source will break some of the other CUDA tools because they have the nvidia-driver package as a dependency.

I also think it kinda crappy to say the *complete* guide, but whatever.
    @all

I have wrote this guide not as a competitor to the ORIGNAL CUDA guide by pureh@te. All of us including me know that his guide both v1 and v2 are the first on this wonderful thing. But what I'm trying to say here is that I have read both the versions of his tutorials but every time failed to get "startx" working by getting different errors in different laptops e.g. Xorg fatal error, Monitor Out-of Sync, Blank Monitor. But the EDID method solved all my problems and I suggested to download the driver from NVIDIA website as the version there for my card is 190.xx while the BackTrack SVN has 185.x.x.

Also I have tested this method and I found GPU Overclocking, Cuda Multiforcer, Pyrit/Cpyrit working absolutely fine. That's why I thought it might help the users who have already asked help for pretty similar problems but their threads are still unanswered.

I have tested this method on my Desktop GeForce 8800GT, my laptop Sony VAIO VPCCW15FG, DELL Studio 15, HP Pavillion DV9000T which earlier gave errors now works smooth.

As an ending note, I would like to say, you guys are the pioneers and are obviously knowing more than me and have more experience, all you say is right. This was just my 2 cents.

hi,

I'd like to add one more thing - in my case running a FX-Quadro 570M and using compiz, it was not working
    properly/stable with the BT4 nvidia-drivers and therefore I used the latest from nvidia and compiz is working now absolutely smoothly.

I know pure@hate mentioned about the specific cuda drivers and not all latest nvidia releases can be used,
    but I decided running serious CUDA bruteforcer(s) on a more powerful workstation and having some fancy
    window manager on my laptop, where I still can pose like our MAC-Owners ;-)

/brtw2003
    Last edited by brtw2003; 02-06-2010 at 05:37 PM.