Thread: kernel update for bt3 usb

Just burned his ISO

Default kernel update for bt3 usb

I was wondering how I can update (backtrack 3 usb) kernel to the 2.6.24 version.I tried compiling it manually but I'm not sure that is the right way of doing it. After you extract the kernel's source code and configure you have a good 500mb to install. I know there must be a more condense way of doing this, such as creating a module( lzm). Installing the latest kernel is not the problem bu the process I know only works if you are running backtrack from a hard drive. I just want to simply update the kernel on my usb drive. I already of the usb set up for persistent changes if that matters.

Developer

There is more than one way to skin a cat however I would decompress all the .lzms on another *nix box and build my kernel there. Then recompress the .lzms and put them back on a usb key.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    There is more than one way to skin a cat however I would decompress all the .lzms on another *nix box and build my kernel there. Then recompress the .lzms and put them back on a usb key.
    Can you direct me to a tutorial or explain the steps in more detail? I appreciate your help!

Thanks

Developer

Well I do not know of a specific tutorial however there are a few threads in the tut section that deal with rebuilding a kernel. So all you would need to do is do a little googling on .lzm decompress compress and maybe even "update kernel live file system"

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for your help