Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to destroy a computer : it's simple, just boot it with Backtrack!

Just burned his ISO

Angry How to destroy a computer : it's simple, just boot it with Backtrack!

Hello everybody,

I'm coming from France and I have bought today a new computer : Acer Aspire M1100. I don't know if many people know this mark, anyway.

I tried to boot my new computer with the Backtrack V2 LiveCD, but it blocked at an IRQ error. I halted the PC in order to reboot and since that when I switch on my computer, it remains jammed at the BIOS screen (EDIT : I wrote boot screen but actually it is BIOS screen). I can't enter in the setup or boot on any device.... I have tried to switch on again many times and to wait a couple of minutes but it didn't change anything!
    I don't understand what is happening, why has just this booting manipulation made my computer out of work??

If someone has experience a similiar problem, I'd be enjoy to share it.

Check your boot devices and order in the BIOS settings.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

No they're right I didn't change it, the HD is the 1st boot device.
    And moreover I said that I have no access to the BIOS settings!! All is jammed!!! I only have the BIOS screen.

Quote Originally Posted by dud225 View Post
    No they're right I didn't change it, the HD is the 1st boot device.
    And moreover I said that I have no access to the BIOS settings!! All is jammed!!! I only have the BIOS screen.
    If you have the BIOS screen, you should be able to change the boot device. You want the first boot device to be the CD, not the first HD. Then the machine will boot BackTrack in the CD. The HD should be the second device.

If you can't change the BIOS settings, then simply reset the BIOS battery and reinitialize the machine.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

You could try taking out the BIOS battery to reset the BIOS settings.

* I was too late

Eh...the "take out the battery to reset it" is a old thing. With newer computers you have to take out the battery and normally pulls or push some jumper by it to flash it. Read the documentation on your Motherboard that came with the new computer to find out exactly how. Each computer is a little different i learned.

Quote Originally Posted by dud225 View Post
    Hello everybody,

I'm coming from France and I have bought today a new computer : Acer Aspire M1100. I don't know if many people know this mark, anyway.

I tried to boot my new computer with the Backtrack V2 LiveCD, but it blocked at an IRQ error. I halted the PC in order to reboot and since that when I switch on my computer, it remains jammed at the BIOS screen (EDIT : I wrote boot screen but actually it is BIOS screen). I can't enter in the setup or boot on any device.... I have tried to switch on again many times and to wait a couple of minutes but it didn't change anything!
    I don't understand what is happening, why has just this booting manipulation made my computer out of work??

If someone has experience a similiar problem, I'd be enjoy to share it.

It sounds more like a bios password or admin password, ways around this can be removing the cmos battery, or locating the rtcrst or clrcmos Jumper I dont know what it will be called on the Aspire M1100, but usually by removing one of them, power the system on without jumper on, then back on again & reseat jumper this might fix it

Just burned his ISO

Very bizarre story. The BIOS pass doesn't get set by itself (I put it on my lappies in case any gets stolen), and a backtrack live disc could not have done any kind of harm to the bios.
    If your computer is new, use the warranty. Acer isn't a very reliable brand anyway...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by larman View Post
    Very bizarre story. The BIOS pass doesn't get set by itself (I put it on my lappies in case any gets stolen),
    And when your laptop does get stolen the smart guy will take the hardrive out and put it into another computer and bypass your password.
    Not to mention removing the cmos battery in some laptops will reset the bios and password.

. Acer isn't the a very reliable brand anyway...
    In your opinion I have had/used several of them and never once had a problem with the brand in and of itself.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by mitm213 View Post
    WOW ****
    drinking people
    I nominate this post as probably the most useless post of the year and for the user to be come moderated.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast