Thread: Laptop hangs on: "starting PCMCIA CardBus support"

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy Laptop hangs on: "starting PCMCIA CardBus support"

Hey everyone, this looks like great forum!

I'm very new to Linux etc but have been playing around with the BT2/BT3 live CDs and having some fun with them.

The CDs I burnt run on loads of different machines, but not my Acer Aspire 5103WLMi laptop! The specs are:

AMD Turion 64x2 TL52 (1.6 GHz, 1MB L2 cache)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 512MB memory
    120GB PATA HDD
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    802.11b/g Wireless LAN (Atheros 5005G Adapter)

When booting, i've tried the different video modes like KDE and Flux (not the text only version as i don't really know any commands) but every time the boot process freezes on the "starting PCMCIA CardBus support" line and I have to reset with Ctrl+Alt+Esc or whatever the key combination is...

A similar thing happened with BT2, it hangs on something to do with PCMCIA support. I have an old copy of BT1...that doesn't work either!

Any help would be great!

Just burned his ISO

Okay, quick update...I was just pressing random keys at the point where it hangs and holding the 'Ctrl' key for some reason gets my cd-rom drive spinning again and the OS continues to boot veeery slowly.

It gets to a prompt where I login with root and toor (this is on BT3 btw, which never happened when I booted it up on other machines) but anyway, i then did xconf and startx and it gave me a messed up picture so I had to reboot.

I did the same with the different graphics modes but it just doesn't seem to be happening. Is it my graphics card that's causing the problems?

I really want it to work on my laptop coz it has an atheros chipset that works well with linux and I don't have access to anything else that could perform packet injection etc to help break wep. I only have access to some cisco aironet cards which work fine for a while but then the 'ath0' interface just totally disappears and i can't get it back...

I dunno, could anyone recommend anything? Cheers!

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 'til infinity View Post
    Hey everyone, this looks like great forum!

I'm very new to Linux etc but have been playing around with the BT2/BT3 live CDs and having some fun with them.

The CDs I burnt run on loads of different machines, but not my Acer Aspire 5103WLMi laptop! The specs are:

AMD Turion 64x2 TL52 (1.6 GHz, 1MB L2 cache)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 512MB memory
    120GB PATA HDD
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    802.11b/g Wireless LAN (Atheros 5005G Adapter)

When booting, i've tried the different video modes like KDE and Flux (not the text only version as i don't really know any commands) but every time the boot process freezes on the "starting PCMCIA CardBus support" line and I have to reset with Ctrl+Alt+Esc or whatever the key combination is...

A similar thing happened with BT2, it hangs on something to do with PCMCIA support. I have an old copy of BT1...that doesn't work either!

Any help would be great!
    I have same computer and exactly similar problem and no solution yet. Please help anybody. My BT2 boot verywell but bt3 sometimes boot but alltimes not, I meen boot hangs at "Starting PCMCIA CardBus support". I use both: USB and Live-CD. When I use boot option "nopcimcia" (with tab kay in the starting) but nothing happen. Or where i can turn off this? But- My computer RAM test with Memtest86 show some errors (approximately 10). Maybe thise errors to do or cause this?! I am really not noob in unix and linux, but i have not idea anymore and this error frustrated me while I very like Backtrak!

Just burned his ISO

try the cheat at boot

bt acpi=off.

my laptop did the same.