Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless not working -Atheros/EEEPC/BT3

Default wireless not working -Atheros/EEEPC/BT3

I have been reading this forum and also the eeeuser forum and tried must of the solutions given for similar problem without any resolve. First I have the eeepc 4g and I followed up the i-hacked.com tutorial to install BT3 on it.

My problem is that when I do a ifconfig -a, I only get lo and eth0. If I do a iwconfig, I get
    lo no wireless extensions
    eth0 no wireless extensions

so it doesn't have an interface for my wireless. lspci command gets the following:
    Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter (rev a0)

If I do a "dmesg | grep -i atheros", I get the following:
    Atheros(R) L2 Ethernet Network Driver - version 1.0.40.4 Copyright (c) 2007 Atheros Corporation.

Wireless asssistant gives an error saying "no usuable wireless devices found"

Thus, at this point I know that my internal/wireless card is in, the machine sees it, it knows what it is but doesn't know how to talk to it. I figure maybe is the drivers. I went to madwifi.org and downloaded the recomended drivers for the atheros chip - madwifi-0.9.4.tar.gz I also downloaded the "Madwifi 'First Time User' HOWTO" instructions and follow it.

Everything seems to work, however when I get to the "modprobe ath_pci" it gives me the bt$# prompt so I assumed it means it works. It something supposed to happen at this point or that is what suppose to be?. Anyway, if I do the ifconfig or the iwconfig commands, it doesn't show the wifi0 or the ath0, instead it shows eth0 and lo. I also tried to run "wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta" but as you would know, this fail because ath0 and wifi0 do not exist.

So what did I miss/ or doing wrong here? Just in case, when I downloaded the madwifi-0.9.4.tar.gz, I put it on /etc/, and then ran "tar zxvf madwifi-0.9.4.tar.gz" which creates a directory on etc called madwifi-0.9.4. I don't think this matters because when you run the make, make install it should put everything on its proper location. However, let me know if I am wrong on this assumption.

By the way, the madwifi instructions, have you running some scripts to remove previous versions, then you do a make, make install, and modprobe ath_pci.

Developer

Your problem is the madwifi drivers require a patch for the asus. I have posted 3 or 4 times in this forum how to fix it. I'll see if I can find it.

I do find it odd the didn't work but once again this is a perfect example of why it is stupid to install on the asus to hard drive. There is no reason to do this. On top of that I find it very odd that all these people are following tutorials from i-hacked instead of the backtrack community. Thats not to say i-hacked is not a well informed site its just the this is the official support forum for BT and at least 8 or 9 of us have a eeepc.

Here, Run these commands one at a time from the command line. You must be connected to the internet with your eth0 interface. When it asks you to remove the old modules say yes or r for remove. I forgot what it says.

bt~#wget 'http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007.tar.gz'
    bt~#tar zxvf madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007.tar.gz
    bt~#cd madwifi-ng-r2756+ar5007
    bt~#make clean
    bt~#make
    bt~#make install
    bt~#reboot

Thanks I will try it. I did saw that posting and even wrote it down, but because the original posting was refering to another card, I assumed I needed to get another drivers from madwifi instead.

I guess the reason why must of us are following the i-hacked posting is because they are trying to do multiple tutorials using the eeepc. Which from my point of view is one way of learning if we all have the same type of hardware, but I think that it would be more helpful if they could either create a mailing list or forum for who ever wants to participate.

I do admit that BT/linux still new to me but I do have to say I have been learning a lot reading this forum and trying to figure out what to do.

It didn't work!, I re-ran the scripts to remove previous versions and then ran the commands you suggested and still doesn't work. ath0 and wifi0 interfaces haven't been created.

At this point, I am considering to start from scratch an re-install BT3. By the way, if that is the correct driver for the atheros in the eeepc why does the madwifi website indicates that madwifi-0.9.4 is the latest. Shouldn't that driver work, if indeed is the latest?

if you read release notes they didnt include eeepc support because they cant confirm who wrote it or something like that also theres a write up on eeeusers.com forum i would expect full madwifi support on next release... hopefully..

@ purehate: does your eeepc inject with that driver? i get mixed results on mine... works if it feels like it...

Developer

Yes mine injects and works perfectly. There is a newer driver however like I was saying the driver requires a patch. So unless you are comfortable patching the driver during the build process than the method I came up with is the easiest. BT3 final will have the kinks irooned out. Remember this is a beta and the patch for the eeepc driver came out like 1 day before bt3 beta did. It was the hard work of some fine people in the bt3 community and aircrack community that got the patch released.

how do you go about patching the drivers during the building process?, plus something else occurs to me, how can I tell if the wireless hardware still working and didn't fail?

I got it working!!!, finally. I was reading all the wireless posting from the eeepcusers forum, and it hit me when someone mentioned to check the bios to see if wlan is enable. Why I didn't think about this before, who knows, anyway, when I check mine, guess what it was disable, once I enable it, it works like a charm.

I feel like such a fool, however, I do have to admit that I had learned a lot trying to troubleshoot the problem. I got to a point that I was even considering to install XP to the SSDHD, and BT3 to a SD card. However, now that is working I am don't want to mess with the OS, but I may tried installing XP to an SD card, has someone try this. I know that subject may not be valid for this forum, so I will check the eeepcuser forum to see if it is possible.

Thanks a lot for all your help, I will keep checking this forum to learn more about how to use BT3.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Yes well now you got it working that is great !
    Funny thing your other post here:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...9981#post69981

You mentioned that your wireless was not working and the response from me
    was "Also is it turned on in the bios ??"
    at least you got it to work.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Sorry Archangel, I guess I read it too fast and was concentrating on why did my blue light wasn't coming up. You were right and that was the right suggestion on this case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast