Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: best antenna to have/build?

  1. #11
    Senior Member PrairieFire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    AP is 800m away. Maximum run for CAT5E unrepeated is 328m. He'd have to run Fiber.

    What's an RJ59?
    Redbull and alcohol

    why not just pay for your own internet hyeclass.
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You do realize that Wifi is a two way connection, therefore you would be breaking the law.
    the person that told me about this law... told me that it only counts for the antenna's of devices that act as an access point......
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieFire View Post
    Redbull and alcohol

    why not just pay for your own internet hyeclass.
    i have my own internet... but....i've got a download limit.... and my cousin doesn't....

    ...so i cant do it huh.... too bad...

    but theoreticly speaking..... should one ever want to make that connection...
    what would be the best antenna to build? just out of curiousity...

    ps: i'm not even sure about that law... i've just heard it somewhere....

  3. #13
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hyeclass View Post
    i have my own internet... but....i've got a download limit.... and my cousin doesn't....

    ...so i cant do it huh.... too bad...

    but theoreticly speaking..... should one ever want to make that connection...
    what would be the best antenna to build? just out of curiousity...

    ps: i'm not even sure about that law... i've just heard it somewhere....
    In theory now, huh? How stupid do you think we are?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Thorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Green Dome
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Just run a VPN over DSL and be done with it. That solution is a lot cleaner than screwing around with an RF signal and breaking the local laws. Beside the law issue, a VPN over DSL is easier to setup, and the signal won't be affected by trees or weather, or other conditions.

    It always amazes me when people want to run wireless in this type of scenario. they seem to fall in love with the technology but forget that other solutions are easier to implement and are more secure.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

  5. #15
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Just run a VPN over DSL and be done with it. That solution is a lot cleaner than screwing around with an RF signal and breaking the local laws. Beside the law issue, a VPN over DSL is easier to setup, and the signal won't be affected by trees or weather, or other conditions.

    It always amazes me when people want to run wireless in this type of scenario. they seem to fall in love with the technology but forget that other solutions are easier to implement and are more secure.
    Good idea if he were actually interested in really linking networks to play games or something. But the OP has a download limit, second party does not. So if he were to VPN to secon party and download all he wants, he'd still be violation of download limit.

    Best thing to do, upgrade your connection to unlimited, barring that, stop kvetching about it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  6. #16
    Jenkem Addict imported_wyze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Best thing to do, upgrade your connection to unlimited, barring that, stop kvetching about it.
    I have to agree with that... I mean unless your a uber-cheapskate what's the problem?
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default

    allright then.... didn't think it would be such a big deal... but i get it .... thanks for your help anyways and time....
    and an unlimited connection is something like 80euro's a month....

  8. #18
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hyeclass View Post
    allright then.... didn't think it would be such a big deal... but i get it .... thanks for your help anyways and time....
    and an unlimited connection is something like 80euro's a month....
    Then get a better job so you can pay for a better connection.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Then get a better job so you can pay for a better connection.
    i"m still at school.... and looking for a job desperaty for 2 years now....

  10. #20
    Senior Member Thorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Green Dome
    Posts
    1,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hyeclass View Post
    and an unlimited connection is something like 80euro's a month....
    So, what's the problem?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •