Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For all my fellow paranoid brethren

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by .lonewolf View Post
    The only time we'll truly be anonymous is when we dead. Funny how a lot of people spend more time sticking their noses into other people's business than they do getting on with their own shit.
    I don't know about that. I think people get on with their own shit quite enough as it is. As a matter of fact, I can guarantee that they do.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I don't know about that. I think people get on with their own shit quite enough as it is. As a matter of fact, I can guarantee that they do.
    Not where I'm from. Personally I can't tolerate people staring at me for whatever reason. In fact if someone has to stare long enough, even if I'm smoking a huge fat joint, I'll ask them wtf they looking at?
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    /Devil's Advocate

If you're not doing anything wrong then why be upset over being under constant surveillance?
    Might be true in most cases but it could also be a matter of principle.

It is arguable which way is better: to find people doing wrong after they done wrong or just put everyone under surveillance and by this trying to prevent someone from doing wrong or at least find it out pretty quick.

Basically the last one is more effective, the question is in how far the surveillance goes. I won't mind if I am monitored while being in public places, since I am not intending on doing anything prohibited.

But it might also lead to a false sense of security if one thinks that i.e. CCTV would completly prevent someone from doing illegal stuff in these zones.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Might be true in most cases but it could also be a matter of principle.

It is arguable which way is better: to find people doing wrong after they done wrong or just put everyone under surveillance and by this trying to prevent someone from doing wrong or at least find it out pretty quick.

Basically the last one is more effective, the question is in how far the surveillance goes. I won't mind if I am monitored while being in public places, since I am not intending on doing anything prohibited.

But it might also lead to a false sense of security if one thinks that i.e. CCTV would completly prevent someone from doing illegal stuff in these zones.
    CCTV doesn't prevent crime, it merely gathers evidence so that the perp's can be prosecuted later.

The real problem of a large CCTV system controlled by the government is that they will then choose which crimes to actually respond to and which to ignore. I believe there's been cases of this already documented in the UK.

I've seen surveillance footage of muggings in the UK where the CCTV has been watching the entire things and it still took about 10 minutes till help arrived. WTF? If someone was doing their job, help should have been there much sooner than that.

The other problem with a large CCTV system is that now the government feels that they can cut back on LEO's as they'll be able to 'target problem areas'. Which just falls back upon my previous paragraph. Fewer cops, means larger response times, means more chance of the perp's getting away and someone dying from injuries.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Regarding monitored CCTV networks, I did see something a while back where they put cameras up in a high crime neighborhood(s) in Chicago, where the cameras have a panoramic sound sensor. When, for example, a gunshot is fired the camera(s) automatically hone in on the area of the gunshot source.

IMO, CCTV should be deployed by big brother in areas that have high crime, but I'm not so sure about the abuses that could play out when citywide monitored networks become uber sophisticated (with bleeding edge FRS and similar technologies), where there could one day be systems in place to catalog everyone's every move in some database. Some things are personal and we should have the right to keep it that way.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

In some cities in the Netherlands the cctv will start recording when they hear someone in distress, or a fight happens, the system detects by the way that people sound if they need help. (In the bar district)

more on-topic: It's a really scary thought that we are being tracked in everything we do, And even more scary that most people don't even know/care!

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    Regarding monitored CCTV networks, I did see something a while back where they put cameras up in a high crime neighborhood(s) in Chicago, where the cameras have a panoramic sound sensor. When, for example, a gunshot is fired the camera(s) automatically hone in on the area of the gunshot source.

IMO, CCTV should be deployed by big brother in areas that have high crime, but I'm not so sure about the abuses that could play out when citywide monitored networks become uber sophisticated (with bleeding edge FRS and similar technologies), where there could one day be systems in place to catalog everyone's every move in some database. Some things are personal and we should have the right to keep it that way.
    I find it unneccessary to have cameras like that in Chicago. After all, they've already outlawed their citizens from having guns, therefore, there aren't any guns.

Of course, those cameras are rendered useless if the first shot from the gun is directly at the camera.

So how many 1000s of stupid people will buy something like that but then go and post a picture of themselves doing something illegal on their facebook page?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

This is the name of the company that makes the microhone/camera:
    http://www.safetydynamics.net/
    Another similar product used by the US Military is:
    http://www.bbn.com/products_and_services/boomerang/
    Called the boomerang and it can be mounted onto vehicles for use while driving.
    As for the cameras On one hand it is nice that that LEO's can "catch" the bad guy but on the other I like my privacy too.
    Call me crazy but why not harsher penalties or enforcing current laws in regards to crime?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel.amael View Post
    This is the name of the company that makes the microhone/camera:
    http://www.safetydynamics.net/
    Another similar product used by the US Military is:
    http://www.bbn.com/products_and_services/boomerang/
    Called the boomerang and it can be mounted onto vehicles for use while driving.
    As for the cameras On one hand it is nice that that LEO's can "catch" the bad guy but on the other I like my privacy too.
    Call me crazy but why not harsher penalties or enforcing current laws in regards to crime?
    You're crazy, that would never work. Geez, what an insane idea, enforcing laws that are already on the books.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast