Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openOffice & BT3

Just burned his ISO

Default openOffice & BT3

hey guys

have just installed OpenOffice (with all default options) onto my BT3 laptop... BT3 is installed on the hard drive...

anyways... after a reboot, there's no option to run the software from the program menu and from command line running :

openoffice.org2.3

gives

/usr/bin/openoffice.org2.3: line 2: /etc/openoffice.org2.3/program/soffice: No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/openoffice.org2.3: line 2: exec: /etc/openoffice.org2.3/program/soffice: cannot execute: No such file or directory

??

anyone got this running on BT3... how hard can it be ??

Cheers
    A

This, of course, begs the question: Why anyone in their right mind would run any office application on a Pen Test machine?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

why not ??

Quote Originally Posted by qt11_ View Post
    why not ??

Because BT is designed for Pen Testing, and not for general use.

Analogy: An Abrams tank is designed to do battle. A car is designed car to commute and do general consumer transportation. Can you commute or go shopping in an Abrams tank? Sure, but why would you? It isn't designed for that, and isn't going to do those jobs very well.

In the same way, you should use BT for Pen Testing, and use a general Linux distro or Windows for office work.
    Thorn

Dunno, I know some people that would love to drive to work in a tank if they could lol

Although BT is 'prob' not designed for office, no harm in having it is there?
    wtf?

Just burned his ISO

hmm...

yes i hear what you are saying....

but linux is linux is linux....

i really like BT3, it has everything i need apart from office apps....

i have it installed on my hard drive and to use office, i'd have to reboot or use a different machine... what's the point if i can have it in BT3.... ?

I'm looking to write reports on some pen testing at work, what's the point on doing it on a different machine.... i'd like to do it here when all the tools are in front of me, so i can copy&paste into my documents....

I appreciate what youre saying, however it'd be useful !!

Just burned his ISO

Default Open Office

I need open office to open and read various Office documents as part of the normal networking and security use of BT3, so I'm in the same boat. I haven't installed OpenOffice on BT3 yet, because the recent versions don't seem to give much flexibility about where it gets installed. I previously installed OpenOffice 2.1 on BT2, and use it constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by qt11_ View Post

i have it installed on my hard drive and to use office, i'd have to reboot or use a different machine... what's the point if i can have it in BT3....
    <shrug> I guess it's a difference in philosophy, but I never mix machine functions. To do so seems ignorant of industry best practices, not to mention current laws. It's a case of acting professionally, and putting your client's privacy and concerns above convenience and doing things the cheap way.

My pen testing and networking functions are done on one machine, and and client documentation is done another. Only the client who's work is in progress is in the BT machine, and that is wiped from that laptop at the completion of the job. All client information is also encrypted on the main work machine. Sure, copying and pasting takes longer across a network, but I'll eat the 20-30 seconds it takes, in exchange for doing things in a more secure manner.

Aside from that, I hate putting all my eggs in one basket. Test machines get subjected to rough conditions and locations. If you drop the test machine while on a rooftop running a wireless test, and it's your sole machine, you're suddenly in a world of hurt.

Client and business information is just too valuable to run that kind of risk. Running on separate machines also shows due diligence in case of any liability problems.
    Thorn

Hi guys.
    Aren't we just running around in circles? Is it possible to do or not? If it is possible, how do you do it?
    This is how space on the forum server is wasted, when we could have simple "1 response topics" with one question and one answer.

Thanks.
    CPU: Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHz (12 x 167)- 2Ghz
    Chipset: Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM
    RAM: 2048 Mb (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX (512 Mb)
    Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]
    Network Card: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Wireless Card: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Modem: Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

Developer

Yes its possible. Build the package from source OR get a package from the repo or from linux packages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast