Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kismet crashing upon startup....

Just burned his ISO

Default Kismet crashing upon startup....

Hello, I am new to BT3 and Linux. I have a Dell 8100 w/ Netgear WG511T installed and working. When I open Kismet, it prompts me to choose my network adapter, I choose my adapter, a window flashes momentarily, then nada. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known bug? Please help.

You're probably doing something wrong. Your kismet.conf file needs to have your driver, interface and a name, like the line below:
    Code:
    source=madwifing_g,wifi0,WIFI
    You can also do this from the commandline. A search will show you how.

Just burned his ISO

Could someone please post a link to the information I need? I have been using Linux for a month. I have been using BT3 for 2 days. I don't mind looking or learning. But I don't even know what I am looking for. I am here to ask for your help because you know what to do!

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

No problem. However, you should provide us with your wireless chipset so we can walk you through it.

do a search for kismet.conf

plenty of answers

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1964m View Post
    Could someone please post a link to the information I need? I have been using Linux for a month. I have been using BT3 for 2 days. I don't mind looking or learning. But I don't even know what I am looking for. I am here to ask for your help because you know what to do!

Just burned his ISO

Thank you "williamc"! I found that I have an Atheros chipset. I was able to find a post that helped me get it up and running for now. The next challenge is learning how to use it! I set up an old PC and an old Linksys Wireless Router with two fried ports. That is my "Lab". Learning about computers is a lot of fun!

Just burned his ISO

This question shows just how "n00b" I am....what command do I use to find the kismet.conf file? I know the command in Ubuntu, but it won't work in BT3. Lol! Go ahead, roll your eyes. I gotta start somewhere. 8-) I wish that there was a book about BT2 or even BT3 that I could use as reference. I found a good one for Ubuntu and another for Linux in general. They have been a great help.

Good friend of the forums williamc's Avatar

Open a terminal. Go to usr/local/etc
    Use nano or vim to edit the kismet.conf file. Add the source line mentioned above to the area for defining the source. You may see #source=none,none,addme
    Just remove the line and replace it with:
    source=atheros,ath0,atheros
    Make sure there is no # in front of it. Now save and run Kismet. (if you used nano, then Ctrl-X, Enter, Enter. If you used vim, then :wq

Good luck.

Just burned his ISO

@Williamc.

Having the same problem as the OP. Tried your solution but the same thing results. Kismet crashes and when i try to reload, i end up with an additional athX (e.g. on first load there is a wifi0 and an ath0. Upon first crash, ath1 is added. Upon the second crash, ath2 is added-etc)

Running backtrack3 beta off a linux livecd.

Computer spec: Compaq presario C700 laptop. Inbuilt atheros ar7000 wifi chipset.

I've tried running airmon-ng stop ath0, then airmon-ng start wifi0 to kick the adapter into monitor mode. With this method, the wifi chip shows up in Wicrawl but upon running the app, nothing happens. Plugins are loaded but nothing is detected. Kismet still loads and crashes on startup.

Anyone have any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong? I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy but unfortunately a bit of a linux and BT3 noob.

---

Iwconfig brings up the following:

lo no wireless extensions.
    eth0 no wireless extensions.
    wifi0 no wireless extensions.
    ath0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"" Nickname:""
    Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
    Retryff RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=0/70 Signal level=-256 dBm Noise level=-256 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Airmon-ng brings up the following:

Interface Chipset Driver

wifi0 Atheros madwifi-ng
    ath0 Atheros madwifi-ng VAP (parent: wifi0)

Quote Originally Posted by EnExJay View Post
    @Williamc.

Having the same problem as the OP(continued)...
    I'm having the same problem and I think it has something to do with the atheros card. I am using an eeePC and same thing, I choose my card, a terminal window opens for a split second and closes. The card itself works fine for browsing, and I can use WiCrawl as an alternative, but it's not as powerful.
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast