Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BackTrack Access Point

Default BackTrack Access Point

Hi guys, I have tried searching for this a bit, but haven't had any results on google or here because of lack of viable search terms, and dodgy results. So I was wondering, do you guys know of any good software that I can use to turn my BackTrack with wireless card into an AP that will pass on any traffic from the Wireless card requests into the switched network. I.e., say Backtrack was 10.1.1.2, and the modem was 10.1.1.1, then I would like some software that could say handle the broadcasting of a network SSID, the connection of clients and obviously some sort of DHCP software to provide them with an IP (or allow the cable modem to do that - it does have DHCP services, but would backtrack still have to provide the IP), and then pass their requests through onto the modem? Hope to hear your replys, and thanks guys.

-Stephen

Edit:

Ok, after some further research, I think I may have figured something out. Basically, do I just have to edit my DHCP.conf file to allow DHCP assignment on Ad-Hoc, then put my wireless card into ad-hoc mode, using:
    iwconfig eth0 essid *essid_name_here* mode Ad-Hoc nick *essid_nick_here* enc off
    Then install the HostAP drivers so that it will appear as an AP rather than a peer. Now, I haven't had a chance to try all that yet, but does that sound about right? Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix910 View Post
    Hi guys, I have tried searching for this a bit, but haven't had any results on google or here because of lack of viable search terms, and dodgy results. So I was wondering, do you guys know of any good software that I can use to turn my BackTrack with wireless card into an AP that will pass on any traffic from the Wireless card requests into the switched network. I.e., say Backtrack was 10.1.1.2, and the modem was 10.1.1.1, then I would like some software that could say handle the broadcasting of a network SSID, the connection of clients and obviously some sort of DHCP software to provide them with an IP (or allow the cable modem to do that - it does have DHCP services, but would backtrack still have to provide the IP), and then pass their requests through onto the modem? Hope to hear your replys, and thanks guys.

-Stephen

Edit:

Ok, after some further research, I think I may have figured something out. Basically, do I just have to edit my DHCP.conf file to allow DHCP assignment on Ad-Hoc, then put my wireless card into ad-hoc mode, using:
    iwconfig eth0 essid *essid_name_here* mode Ad-Hoc nick *essid_nick_here* enc off
    Then install the HostAP drivers so that it will appear as an AP rather than a peer. Now, I haven't had a chance to try all that yet, but does that sound about right? Thanks guys.
    That should turn your machine into a router
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Interesting... Please post your results if you are successful.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Yeah, I will when I get there. Right now, DHCP doesn't appear to be working, but it's hard to judge, because when I try and change my wireless card settings with my aforementioned command (even as root), it will deny me permissions.
    "Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted."
    Whether I'm in monitor mode or not. Any idea's with that people? I also forgot to mention that I will have to set up NAT for this to work with net access, but I'll get there. First things first - sorting out the wireless permission probelm. If anyone has any ideas whilst I search, I'll be glad to hear them. When I get this working, I'll be posting a full tutorial.

-Stephen

Edit:
    Ok, in terms of setting the Wi-Fi into an Ad-Hoc mode, scrap my initial command. That will not be permitted. Instead use a series of 3. They are:
    iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-Hoc
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "namehere"
    iwconfig wlan0 channel 1

Now, that works, and my XP computer picks it up. It does get assigned an address by DHCP in BackTrack, but it's a non standard address type (I watched it all through Wireshark on the AP computer - does all the DHCP and attempts an NBS namelookup when I try a site, but nothing comes of it. I have to still set up NAT, but I was also thinking something crude like Netcat to forward the net on. Whaddya think?). I initially had to create the /etc/dhcpd.conf file because it wasn't there, but obviously if it's not there, then it's either not installed or it's somewhere else, and if it is getting assigned via DHCP a different address than what I specified, then DHCP must be running elsewhere. My question is, where is this in BackTrack? That's my next topic to tackle

Edit 2:
    Well, I tried something I found at
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....Howto:Airsnarf
    Thinking that it would at least get me started, but it didn't work (and yes, I did configure it to my network device name). Then I tried airsnarf from scratch with my own options, but not luck as yet. Anyhow, they used DHCP on that page, so maybe I can figure out how to use it somehow myself, but I'm not that great with that stuff. Btw, the airsnarf instructions there only tricked my PC into thinking that both my ethernet and wireless card were wireless connections, and that my ethernet connected through my wireless :S Oh well. Back in a while.

-Stephen

I don't have the right tools to work this through for you @ this very moment, but you might want to make sure you've done the following:

Forward traffic:
    Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    Config ad hoc:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid YOURLAN mode ad-hoc

(Optional) 

iwconfig wlan0 key "S0m3p/\s$"
    Set device IP and netmask:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 192.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    You could then manually config the connecting machine's IP, DNS, Netmask
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Developer

Airsnarf is what you want but I have never got it to work in backtrack. Thats the reason for my router creation. It can run all the tools that i would use if my laptop was the AP. I can run dsniff, tcp dump,arp watch, and nmap is what I'm up to now. There is lots of stuff out there to run on wrt54g routers.

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    I don't have the right tools to work this through for you @ this very moment, but you might want to make sure you've done the following:

Forward traffic:
    Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    Config ad hoc:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid YOURLAN mode ad-hoc

(Optional) 

iwconfig wlan0 key "S0m3p/\s$"
    Set device IP and netmask:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 192.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    You could then manually config the connecting machine's IP, DNS, Netmask
    Thanks for this, I'll give it a try tonight. Pureh@te, I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't have time to really make a router atm, nor the funds to do so.

-Stephen

Just burned his ISO

so...whats the results?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    so...whats the results?
    did you even look to see how old this topic was? its been 4 months since the last post..

Just burned his ISO

and whats the problem with that mr!?

i am intresting in this topic and i am asking...also in this time there should be good results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast