Thread: not working : USB TEW-424UB (CA) H/W:3.1R (RTL8187B)

Just burned his ISO

Default not working : USB TEW-424UB (CA) H/W:3.1R (RTL8187B)

Hi !
    First post, I doubt it will be the last

Got this TrendNET USB stick.

TEW-424UB (CA) H/W:3.1R (I figure out this is the rev. number)
    Running lsusb on it gives me 0bda:8189 Realtek blah blah.

I crack open it to see what's inside. I attached a pic. The chip inside is a Realtek 8187B.

It is not recognized at all.

I'm using Backtrack Beta 3 latest, on HD.
    At boot, BT3 doesn't even recognize it. Same thing on BT 2 Final. Tried on PC's and laptops. No luck.

I tried loading modules manually (insmod some ieee*.ko + r8187.ko) and it did not work. I tried to do exactly what's on aircrack wiki concerning r8187, no luck. Output with errors anyways (I install kernel.lzm and everything needed, turn the makefile executable, and all the stuff ...)

Any ideas ? I'm no linux expert but I can figure out many things. Last thing I would say is I tried on USB 1.1 ports, not USB 2.0 but It shouldn't matter. The stick is running fine under XP.

Previously, I had a lot of fun with a PCI Gnet crap based on a TI chipset. After 3 days, it runs perfectly under BT3 Beta, injection included, so making this Trendnet usb stick working is my next challenge.

Any comments appreciated and many thanks

RTL8187B is not supported unless you use kernel version 2.6.24 or wireless-git 2.6. I do not know if monitor or injection will work once you got that going.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by damyen View Post
    Hi !
    First post, I doubt it will be the last

Got this TrendNET USB stick.

TEW-424UB (CA) H/W:3.1R (I figure out this is the rev. number)
    Running lsusb on it gives me 0bda:8189 Realtek blah blah.

I crack open it to see what's inside. I attached a pic. The chip inside is a Realtek 8187B.

It is not recognized at all.

I'm using Backtrack Beta 3 latest, on HD.
    At boot, BT3 doesn't even recognize it. Same thing on BT 2 Final. Tried on PC's and laptops. No luck.

I tried loading modules manually (insmod some ieee*.ko + r8187.ko) and it did not work. I tried to do exactly what's on aircrack wiki concerning r8187, no luck. Output with errors anyways (I install kernel.lzm and everything needed, turn the makefile executable, and all the stuff ...)

Any ideas ? I'm no linux expert but I can figure out many things. Last thing I would say is I tried on USB 1.1 ports, not USB 2.0 but It shouldn't matter. The stick is running fine under XP.

Previously, I had a lot of fun with a PCI Gnet crap based on a TI chipset. After 3 days, it runs perfectly under BT3 Beta, injection included, so making this Trendnet usb stick working is my next challenge.

Any comments appreciated and many thanks
    Cannot seem to post my question, permissions seem to be rather restrictive, so apologies for adding it here.

I have been trying for a week to modify drivers for the RT73 Ralink chipset, to add D-Link cards using VID_07d1&PID_3C07 (DWA-110, amongst others). Unfortunately, being a complete Linux newbie, I have not been successful. I am not sure if I can do this within BT3 or I have to install a complete slackware package including source code, and I have not been able to find sufficient help to enable me to figure it out.

Does anyone know if there is a recent compile of the RT73.ko anywhere containing this hardware, or point me in the direction of a clear, concise article on how to recompile the driver?

Thanks

Stolid

Stolid

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Just added a tutorial for you

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=13423

Hope this helps