Thread: back track beta 3 usb questions.

Just burned his ISO

Question back track beta 3 usb questions.

I just downloaded that HUGE file, the backtrack beta usb. I had a couple questions before i put it on my (4gig) usb.

Is the backtrack program only bootable.
    Will this effect any others files on my usb stick, or do i need to get a usb stick just for the program.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firesquirrel View Post
    I just downloaded that HUGE file, the backtrack beta usb. I had a couple questions before i put it on my (4gig) usb.

Is the backtrack program only bootable.
    Will this effect any others files on my usb stick, or do i need to get a usb stick just for the program.
    Yes it is bootable with an option to install to a usb stick or a hdd

There is also a stripped down 700 mb version as well if the usb is to big.

Yes it will erase everything else on the usb once you make it bootable
    see the wiki for more info
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....itle=Main_Page
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

i have the 1 gig rar file i will extract that to my usb stick, do i have to delete all my stuff that is on it already? i have a 4 GIG usb stick, Also when i use backtrack it is just its not like a new operating system when i take it out and reboot does it go back to windows, I only 1 pc at home and i dont want to screw it up?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but......

I would strongly suggest learning a little about live Linux systems and Linux in general, etc, before going any further.

If you have no idea of what BackTrack is, or how it works, what exactly are you trying/hoping to achieve with it?

If you're looking simply for a live Linux distro that you can run from CD/USB in order to learn Linux, or just have a portable OS in your pocket, you may be better off looking at some of the main-stream "general purpose" distros, as BackTrack is geared very strongly towards network security/ penetration testing. It isn't really suitable as a beginners "introduction to Linux" type of system

Just burned his ISO

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but......

I would strongly suggest learning a little about live Linux systems and Linux in general, etc, before going any further.

If you have no idea of what BackTrack is, or how it works, what exactly are you trying/hoping to achieve with it?

If you're looking simply for a live Linux distro that you can run from CD/USB in order to learn Linux, or just have a portable OS in your pocket, you may be better off looking at some of the main-stream "general purpose" distros, as BackTrack is geared very strongly towards network security/ penetration testing. It isn't really suitable as a beginners "introduction to Linux" type of system
    nope not gonna listen 2 u. that wasn't my question. Now stop given me this BS

Just burned his ISO

i know i am new to back track and i am pretty bad at it so far. Is backtrack an actual operating system u install or is it just on the cd. does back track effect windows in any way? is it sort of like a plug n play sort of thing. u have to have the disk or usb stick to use it,

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

i know i am new to back track and i am pretty bad at it so far. Is backtrack an actual operating system u install or is it just on the cd. does back track effect windows in any way? is it sort of like a plug n play sort of thing. u have to have the disk or usb stick to use it,

The above two quotes is why you will probably not get very far with backtrack or this community.

And to answer yes it is both an os and a plug n play sort of thing.
    good luck
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Developer

Wow insulting a administrator of the forum you are trying to solicit help from. Good show!!!!

Just burned his ISO

ok thanx "archangel.amael"