Thread: BT3 / EEE pc / Swap

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 / EEE pc / Swap

I did a search and was not able to find the answer, for BT3 specific!

So first let me say I LOVE BT3 and all of the utilities that have been put into this distro.Well I was able to get BT3 on my EEE 4G SSD and all is working very well. But I was looking through the KDE Control module and the GUI showed that I had a SWAP of about 886 MB. From all of the reading that I have done everyone says NOT to have a swap so I will be able to extend the life of my SSD.
    So my question is how do I find out if, in fact, the install created a swap?
    Or am I just totally a Noob and the Swap is being written to the RAM?

Thanks, SFL

Developer

There is a swap in the xandros system which is probably being used because you didn't create the partitions correctly. When it comes stock there are 4 partions. One of them you need for bios but the other three can be wiped. Thats all I can help you because I use my eeepc w/ sd card which I might suggest to you if your worried about the life of the eeepc. With 2 gigs or ram my eeepc boots in less than 60 secs and is ready to go.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFlyLoser View Post
    So my question is how do I find out if, in fact, the install created a swap?
    Or am I just totally a Noob and the Swap is being written to the RAM?
    Thanks, SFL
    You could use any of the partition managers that are found in backtrack
    like fdisk or parted or qtparted to see your partitions. or even the "mount" command.

As for swap this is a portion of a harddrive that is used once the ram itself is full. Once the space from ram is freed up then info from the swap is moved to ram. The swap partition in linux serves the same purpose as a page file in windows.

When it comes stock there are 4 partions. One of them you need for bios but the other three can be wiped.

Bios is used for doing a factory reset using the little reset button on the undersideand the others are system used for the os itself and the other is user used for all of the changes etc that you make.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.