Thread: Replacing Internal WLAN on Dell E1505

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Replacing Internal WLAN on Dell E1505

After buying a WG511T for my E1505 and realizing it wouldn't fit I want to replace the internal wifi in my laptop. I was wondering if this is possible what card would you prefer?

Thanks for the suggestions,

Dan

InMyMind

Same question! Accoding to Netstumbler, internal antenna which is mounted to the laptop's lid gives better reception over USB Netgear and Ralink which I recently tried.

Who got a suggestion on a mini-PCI card to install? Many thanks!

Just burned his ISO

I want to replace my BCM4311 in my f572us... What factors are involved in doing this? I understand some cards will be bigger than stock, anything else?

Be very careful when trading out wifi internal cards. I believe Dell and Compaq have some BIOS hack that will only work for broadcoms or their cards.

Like my wifes Compaq.......You have to use a hex editor on the BIOS just to take out her broadCRAP if you want to replace it with an Atheros chipped Internal Wi-Fi and have your laptop recognize it!

So be very careful...our Admin Re@lity can tell you some personal experiences he had with editing the BIOS with a Hex editor.

You could f-up your laptop trying it.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by InMyMind View Post
    Same question! Accoding to Netstumbler, internal antenna which is mounted to the laptop's lid gives better reception over USB Netgear and Ralink which I recently tried.

Who got a suggestion on a mini-PCI card to install? Many thanks!
    The signal strength will be bogus with netstumbler unless you are using an orinoco gold (or clone) card.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I have a dell insprin 1405 laptop and replaced the internal broadcom card with a gigabyte GN-WI07HT. It works fine in a few different linux distributions ive tried and Windows xp. it does work, but as long as i have that card in the system it locks up the machine after 5 or ten minutes. Was gonna try the card on a dell latitude d620 and see if that machine locks up with that card.

Just burned his ISO

I did try the same card in a friends compaq and on post it lists a message, "unsupported network card detected system haulted". Was gonna try a new windows install with the card again to see if its just the windows xp install i have running.

This kind of msg is normally just to a locked BIOS, so a OS reinstall will do little good.

Quote Originally Posted by esnyder75 View Post
    I did try the same card in a friends compaq and on post it lists a message, "unsupported network card detected system haulted". Was gonna try a new windows install with the card again to see if its just the windows xp install i have running.