Thread: How to locate physical location of access point?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default How to locate physical location of access point?

Well I've been breaking my head over this problem for a few days now, we have at my company some rogue employees hooking up their home APs to our network and connecting from the balcony over coffee and smokes. Needless to say we have to stop this, but before we start putting in NAC and whatnot I want to find the exact offices where these douches operate so I can shut them down and report them to management (hehe mess with MY network!)
    Trouble is, as much as I walk around with my laptop looking at kismet and airodump's power meters, they are wholly unreliable. Even tried "limiting" my pcmcia (Netgear WPN511) by wrapping it in tin-foil and pointing it at certain directions. still no luck.
    Any ideas on how to get this done anyone?

Extensively covered here.

Just burned his ISO

well thanks, i searched and nothing came up (blame the misleading title...), but the thread didnt help me much since i really can't get any of the mentioned equiptment (for geographic/accounting reasons i wont go into).
    I was hoping someone had actual experience making a DIY direction-limiter for a pcmcia card w/o a connector (maybe covering it up with tin foil open at one end or the like).
    I'm sure its been done.
    I've tried it, but the kismet readings im getting are very unreliable and unhelpful.
    oh well, back to work. If i make it, i'll share

make a directional antenna, use a pringles can, connect it up to a usb wireless pen, airodump-ng ..... look at the pwr reading and follow the yellow brick road

edit: if u are using a non usb card, then get a pigtail, antenna and connect up. plenty of tutorials on making this all over the place

The best thing to do is checking the ARP tables on your switches and look you should be able to see which port the AP is connected to.

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    The best thing to do is checking the ARP tables on your switches and look you should be able to see which port the AP is connected to.
    dump your tables and whip up a quick script to compare the data to this...
    http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt

Or you could just dump the mac addresses into this...
    http://www.techzoom.net/nettools-macdecode.asp
    There's no fate but what we make for ourselves.

-I already know I cant spel-

can anyone tell me how to connect to ethernet? I know it sounds dumb but I just want to know

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by booger21 View Post
    can anyone tell me how to connect to ethernet? I know it sounds dumb but I just want to know
    WTF does this question have to do with this thread?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by booger21 View Post
    funniest thing ive read all week!