Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: to see which internet I have?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    What you really need to do is this: Get a nice, user-friendly Linux distro such Ubuntu. Play with that for six months to a year. After you learn the basics like whois, speed tests, and all the other minutia of Linux, then come back to Backtrack.
    Shouldn't you be on the road? Or are you posting while driving?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    Funniest sh*t I read all day. Thanks for making me laugh LOL.

To the OP, you want to know the speed of your network? or the speed of your wifi?

EDIT: Please stop saying Peace, or I will start saying Dawg.
    I would like to know the speed of my network, but as an intruder. The steps on how to do it.

I cant give peace to people now? And please do say dawg, dawg.

Peace
    CPU: Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHz (12 x 167)- 2Ghz
    Chipset: Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM
    RAM: 2048 Mb (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX (512 Mb)
    Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]
    Network Card: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Wireless Card: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Modem: Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear. A Whois lookup is not (repeat:is not) going to give you the information you need. There is another tool that can be used to determine what network you're on and from there, if you have even basic knowledge of the ISP's in your area, you'd know what speed your connection is.

of course, you could always go to any number of websites that do speedtests on connections and determine it that way as well.

Our whole point here is, you don't even know the basics of networking and your interest is in advanced topics.

Tell me something, you like Piano, did you sit down right away and start to play the William Tell Overture, or did you start off with the scales and work your way through Mary Had a Little Lamb?

In photography, did run out and buy yourself a Nikon SLR with a 5000 Mile zoom lens or did you start off with a simple Polaroid instamatic and go from there?

In Brain surgery, do you just jump right in and cut the top of the person's head off and start probing around, or do you try and find out the basics of what's wrong first?

I hope those three analogies help you in your quest for knowledge.

It was the will of Landru at the Time of Festival.
    I think the answer to your questions are rhetorical. But I do not understand, you now say it's advanced, but before you said it was quite easy.

Peace
    Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Quote Originally Posted by sardinemaster View Post
    I think the answer to your questions are rhetorical. But I do not understand, you now say it's advanced, but before you said it was quite easy.

Peace
    No, I'm saying that you don't even know the basics if what you're trying to do. Basically, you haven't even been to Networking 101 yet. You're using a Linux Distro that is way over your head when you don't even know how to trace a route out of a paper page.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

I would like to know the speed of my network, but as an intruder. The steps on how to do it.

I cant give peace to people now? And please do say dawg, dawg.

Peace
    http://www.speedtest.net/
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html
    http://performance.toast.net/
    http://myspeed.visualware.com/
    http://www.bandwidthplace.com/
    http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

I have no idea why you'd want to know the SPEED from outside your network OR as an attacker? What the hell would it matter? It would matter if you could get IN, not the speed.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I have indeed read the whole topic. PeppersGhost's answer still applies. To an intruder, running a speed check would be no different than you running it.

Frankly, I don't care how smart you think you are, you're in over your head. (And don't be too impressed with yourself. Other people have attended med schools. Big deal.)

You don't even know that you're asking the wrong questions, never mind knowing how to ask the right questions. Look at it this way: The med school professors didn't let you poke patients, take a history, or collect vital signs the first day. Instead, you first had to learn human body basics such as organ locations and functions in the gross anatomy lab. Then you had to learn things such as what the difference is between a systolic and a diastolic BP, and how to interpret what they mean in relation to a patient's age and general health.

In other words, you needed a basic foundation of knowledge before you could even do the minimal procedures with a real, live patient.

The same thing applies here.

What you really need to do is this: Get a nice, user-friendly Linux distro such Ubuntu. Play with that for six months to a year. After you learn the basics like whois, speed tests, and all the other minutia of Linux, then come back to Backtrack.
    1) I do not think I am smart, I simply stated that I knew quite a lot about the brain, and reasoned this affirmation saying I am in med school.

2) The professors did let me poke patients, take a history, and collect vital signs the first day, attend operations as well as teaching me the basic anatomy in the same time. (Anticipating a possible question, I am at Oxford University.)

3) This "getting the foundations first" approach is quite wrong, at least in my learning style. I learn the difficult things WHILE learning the easy things. Basically, it helps me in applying my knowledge. A prime example:
    I was exposed to 4 languages at the same time at a very yound age, and didnt have a clue of what was going on, but started learning them all at the same time and now I can speak 4 languages fluently. (not trying to be smart it's just something that happened to me and that I was lucky enough to have).

So, if you could simply explain how to do it, or tell me where I can see how it is done, from there I will adapt the basic linux knowledge I already have to it, and understand it.

BTW, guess what the first thing I did in backtrack was? Break my WEP encrypted network. I just copied what other people did. Now is that going gradually? Nop, it's going straight into the hard, but then I tried understanding the commands I was putting in, and eventually I did. So, how about just feeding the command lines to me, and let me make sense of them? Then I will get back to you, and ask you if I am understanding them right.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    http://www.speedtest.net/
    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html
    http://performance.toast.net/
    http://myspeed.visualware.com/
    http://www.bandwidthplace.com/
    http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp

I have no idea why you'd want to know the SPEED from outside your network OR as an attacker? What the hell would it matter? It would matter if you could get IN, not the speed.

Thanks for those, but if I am outside my network, and would like to know the speed from outside, not even connecting to my network, I wouldnt have the internet, would I? At least, so I think.

Peace

BTW, guess what the first thing I did in backtrack was? Break my WEP encrypted network. I just copied what other people did. Now is that going gradually? Nop, it's going straight into the hard, but then I tried understanding the commands I was putting in, and eventually I did. So, how about just feeding the command lines to me, and let me make sense of them? Then I will get back to you, and ask you if I am understanding them right.

Peace
    Great, you accomplished something that every single 12 yr old script kiddie accomplished. Now, how about you go and learn some basics.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

I'm done with this thread. Med school or not, I would not want you working on me.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Thanks for those, but if I am outside my network, and would like to know the speed from outside, not even connecting to my network, I wouldnt have the internet, would I? At least, so I think.

Peace
    This is going nowhere.........

To compare an anlogy with a smart-ass response won't really help you understand or achieve anything.
    In the context of Thorns analogy, your reply would imply that you did in fact jump straight into a hands-on brain operation, on your own and with no previous knowledge whatsoever, and then learn the basics afterwards from the classroom/professor scenario!?
    Well, that's a new way of teaching!

Is that really how you imagine the average learning process to work!?
    It's a shame to see even Oxford lowering its standards to this degree of student incompetency.

If you wish to further your knowledge of networking and network security, you must first apply yourself to learning the basics.
    There is little point in discussing data packet analysis, and such like, if you have no grounding in the subject.
    You will not find any "hand holding" responses given for questions that the OP has absolutely no understanding of at all. It's a pointless waste of everyones time.

I don't think you are clear, even in your own mind, what it is you actually want to achieve.

.......if I am outside my network, and would like to know the speed from outside, not even connecting to my network.......
    What exactly are you trying to achieve, in your imagination?
    You could find out the "type" of service supplied by your ISP, possibly, via passive sniffing. But, even then it is no guarantee of the actual line speed.
    For example, a 56k dial-up account would imply a 56k line, a 128k account would imply ISDN, but a "broadband ISP" account would only take you as far as defining probability of it being DSL or ADSL. This wouldn't necessarily define the actual line speed.
    For example, with the more common ADSL UK services, the line speed is actually governed by equipment at your local telephone exchange, not by the ISP directly upstream (Of course the ISP sets your max speed for the equipment to adhere by)
    The faster variants of ADSL are "rate adaptive" which means the actual "real world" line speed will fluctuate around environmental conditions, regardless of the "advertised" line speed that your account type may offer.
    Therefore, the ISP's IP pool could, theoretically, remain the same for customers on a 2mbit, 8mbit or 16mbit line. So, even knowing the ISP to which you are connected may not help you to define your line speed, purely from a passive sniffing point of view (as you are attempting to obtain this information without actually connecting to the network).

What do you imagine the necessity of defining the actual line speed to be?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast