Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: to see which internet I have?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by sardinemaster View Post
    Your third sentence makes no sense to me, as I do not know what Comcast or Verizon are (my best guess is they are ISPs), but as I live in England and only moved in recently, I am not quite sure how to interpret that into "british terms".
    As a med student, I definitly know I have a brain for a reason, and probably even know more about it than you do, and currently even in an FBMRI building about to do some brain scans on some patients.
    Also, what is a WhoIs?

Peace.
    This is a prime example of what we keep saying about BackTrack. You want to use it, but you don't even know what the most basic network functions are.

I'm pretty sure a Google knows what 'whois' is.

So, as a med student, why are you using BackTrack? Since it was primarily designed for IT Security people.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Actually, I tried it, and google was pretty useless, didn't EXPLAIN what "whois" actually is. Wikipedia brought my answer to me, and it just spoonfed the answer to me.
    As a med student, I have many interests, one of them playing piano, another is photography but I am also greatly interested in Computer Science.

Peace.
    CPU: Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHz (12 x 167)- 2Ghz
    Chipset: Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM
    RAM: 2048 Mb (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX (512 Mb)
    Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]
    Network Card: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Wireless Card: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Modem: Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

Actually, I tried it, and google was pretty useless, didn't EXPLAIN what "whois" actually is. Wikipedia brought my answer to me, and it just spoonfed the answer to me.
    As a med student, I have many interests, one of them playing piano, another is photography but I am also greatly interested in Computer Science.

Peace.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

It would seem that the very first link that's not an advertisement is exactly the definition.

Now you've learned something today. But that isn't the answer to your question, there's still another tool that you'd need to use to solve your problem.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

right, well the wikipedia one isnt too bad either to be honest, have a look:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/whois

Right, defenitly I've learnt something, you're right. But is the second tool, still in the reply to Exploitz, or if it isnt, can I have a clue on what it is?

(btw, if the answer is in the wikipage I just sent the link, I havent read it all, so it's obvious i'm not going to know), so you can only bash me in the head with a stick if it's in your reply to exploitz

Peace.

EDIT: www.ripe.net/whois that sounds pretty good doesnt it? think I found the exact site where I could put my IP into, right? and I should get some info on myself... bare in mind I am in england, not in the states.
    Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

dude, you really should not be here

what is a WhoIs?
    A question like this, in any terms, could land you in the idiot corner. I would think. If you want to know you're connection speed, there are numerous online speed testers. Use Google to search for some. This ain't brain surgery.
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

@merlin051:
    I'm fine where I am, thanks.

@PeppersGhost:
    Have you read the whole topic? Do you know why I'm asking this question? I'm asking it as an intruder into my own network and whether I can know what speed I have from outside.

Peace

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by merlin051 View Post
    dude, you really should not be here
    Funniest sh*t I read all day. Thanks for making me laugh LOL.

To the OP, you want to know the speed of your network? or the speed of your wifi?

EDIT: Please stop saying Peace, or I will start saying Dawg.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

right, well the wikipedia one isnt too bad either to be honest, have a look:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/whois

Right, defenitly I've learnt something, you're right. But is the second tool, still in the reply to Exploitz, or if it isnt, can I have a clue on what it is?

(btw, if the answer is in the wikipage I just sent the link, I havent read it all, so it's obvious i'm not going to know), so you can only bash me in the head with a stick if it's in your reply to exploitz

Peace.

EDIT: www.ripe.net/whois that sounds pretty good doesnt it? think I found the exact site where I could put my IP into, right? and I should get some info on myself... bare in mind I am in england, not in the states.
    I guess I wasn't clear. A Whois lookup is not (repeat:is not) going to give you the information you need. There is another tool that can be used to determine what network you're on and from there, if you have even basic knowledge of the ISP's in your area, you'd know what speed your connection is.

of course, you could always go to any number of websites that do speedtests on connections and determine it that way as well.

Our whole point here is, you don't even know the basics of networking and your interest is in advanced topics.

Tell me something, you like Piano, did you sit down right away and start to play the William Tell Overture, or did you start off with the scales and work your way through Mary Had a Little Lamb?

In photography, did run out and buy yourself a Nikon SLR with a 5000 Mile zoom lens or did you start off with a simple Polaroid instamatic and go from there?

In Brain surgery, do you just jump right in and cut the top of the person's head off and start probing around, or do you try and find out the basics of what's wrong first?

I hope those three analogies help you in your quest for knowledge.

It was the will of Landru at the Time of Festival.

@merlin051:
    I'm fine where I am, thanks.

@PeppersGhost:
    Have you read the whole topic? Do you know why I'm asking this question? I'm asking it as an intruder into my own network and whether I can know what speed I have from outside.

Peace
    I have indeed read the whole topic. PeppersGhost's answer still applies. To an intruder, running a speed check would be no different than you running it.

Frankly, I don't care how smart you think you are, you're in over your head. (And don't be too impressed with yourself. Other people have attended med schools. Big deal.)

You don't even know that you're asking the wrong questions, never mind knowing how to ask the right questions. Look at it this way: The med school professors didn't let you poke patients, take a history, or collect vital signs the first day. Instead, you first had to learn human body basics such as organ locations and functions in the gross anatomy lab. Then you had to learn things such as what the difference is between a systolic and a diastolic BP, and how to interpret what they mean in relation to a patient's age and general health.

In other words, you needed a basic foundation of knowledge before you could even do the minimal procedures with a real, live patient.

The same thing applies here.

What you really need to do is this: Get a nice, user-friendly Linux distro such Ubuntu. Play with that for six months to a year. After you learn the basics like whois, speed tests, and all the other minutia of Linux, then come back to Backtrack.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast