Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edimax Ew-7318usg Usb 2.0 works right out of box

lol, no I think you read my post wrong. I said I calculated 50mW.
    What meter are you reading 246 on?
    Lol dunno lonewolf I have an rf metre may have set it up wrong or something, but thats the reading I got, Like I said Im new to all this so forgive my ignorance is there anything that can up the power rating of this or would a higher gain antenna be worth investing ? I like these so much Im thinking of buying a second one for indoors also are those outdoor omni antennas good for general all round gain? dont mean to pick ur brains too much lonewolf but you probably know more than I

Hey, don't worry I'm also ignorant, I honestly don't know much about anything

I used a wifi calculator, dBm to milliWatts conversion.

Well I hope you're right tbh.

Edit: You could get an amplifier, I recall -=Xploitz=- having success with an amp.

What antennas do you currently have? Grid antennas are highly recommended 24 dBi +. The very powerful omnis are quite pricey afaik.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hey, don't worry I'm also ignorant, I honestly don't know much about anything

I used a wifi calculator, dBm to milliWatts conversion.

Well I hope you're right tbh.

Edit: You could get an amplifier, I recall -=Xploitz=- having success with an amp.

What antennas do you currently have? Grid antennas are highly recommended 24 dBi +. The very powerful omnis are quite pricey afaik.
    Lol Thx lonewolf, ile google amps. I have the 24dbi grid parabolic on my roof now with direct usb cable feed from edimax to pc and i must say the signal results are awesome dont think i would go back to rf cable now. The only thing i had to do extra was to shield the usb cable with plastic conduit trunking to protect it it from the weather cos it aint meant for outdoor but hey its worth the effort for the increase in signal. I dont profess to know all about rf and wireless but theres one thing i know for sure is that usb cable is much better than rf when it comes to signal, that said my lenghth is within 5 metres and im not sure but i think beyond that usb loses signal and needs to be powered somehow . experts may argue but from my personal experience i wouldnt go back to rf.

Ps: I currently only have the 24dbi grid parabolic, I got rid of the 19dbi yagi hence poor performance but I wouldnt mind one of those outdoor omnis if anyone could review them here for performence

Quote Originally Posted by fido13uk View Post
    Lol Thx lonewolf, ile google amps. I have the 24dbi grid parabolic on my roof now with direct usb cable feed from edimax to pc and i must say the signal results are awesome dont think i would go back to rf cable now. The only thing i had to do extra was to shield the usb cable with plastic conduit trunking to protect it it from the weather cos it aint meant for outdoor but hey its worth the effort for the increase in signal. I dont profess to know all about rf and wireless but theres one thing i know for sure is that usb cable is much better than rf when it comes to signal, that said my lenghth is within 5 metres and im not sure but i think beyond that usb loses signal and needs to be powered somehow . experts may argue but from my personal experience i wouldnt go back to rf.

Ps: I currently only have the 24dbi grid parabolic, I got rid of the 19dbi yagi hence poor performance but I wouldnt mind one of those outdoor omnis if anyone could review them here for performence
    I think you're are right about the usb cable, I've heard a lot of people say that.
    Here's a 15dBi outdoor omni-directional antenna, but there's no price.

I don't know if that's powerful enough for your needs, though.

Actually here's a whole lot.
    They appear to have the 15dBi outdoor omni for about $110
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

I bought the EW-7318USg about 2 years ago and used it too leech from a neighbors' internet connection. At first I tried building a "cantenna" from a pringles can but couldn't get any good results. Instead I built my own nifty parabolic antenna from a strainer. Worked for everyday usage for about 1 year until I moved!

bayimg.com/image/kadeaaaca.jpg

My recommendation is to get a USB-extension cable for moving the dongle closer to the base station. The build-in antenna in my Thinkpad works better than the default one on the dongle when it's plugged right into the USB-port of my computer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123