Thread: Rtl8187 and driver in Bt3

Just burned his ISO

Default Rtl8187 and driver in Bt3

Hi,i've read most post about driver and patch for rtl8187 and i read the link refer to patch for this device on Aircrack-ng site,but during the installation after doing make appear this error :

bt rtl8187_linux_26.1010.0622.2006 # make
    rm -f ieee80211/Module.symvers 2>/dev/null
    rm -f ieee80211/Modules.symvers 2>/dev/null
    make -C ieee80211 all
    make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/wep/rtl8187_linux_26.1010.0622.2006/ieee80211'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build M=/root/Desktop/wep/rtl8187_linux_26.1010.0622.2006/ieee80211 modules
    make: Entering an unknown directory
    make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: Leaving an unknown directory
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/wep/rtl8187_linux_26.1010.0622.2006/ieee80211'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

how resolve it?thanks

Developer

You obviously did not read anything because if you did you would know that you need the kernel.lzm from the wiki.

Read the readme file, in that directory, don't just do make, do ./makedrv, then ./wlan0up. I bought a card with that chipset just today, and that works for me. However, that only works for every time I install it. I.e., even with saved changes (on usb drive, using the dir2lzm /mnt/live/memory/changes method) I have to re-install it at the start. Is that because of the startup scripts, or is that because I don't have the kernel.lzm? Sorry if that's a silly question, I'm going to look at the kernel now, but I figured I'd ask in case not. But yes, Super_nio, my instructions should work. After that, use airmon-ng to put it in monitor mode.

-Stephen

Edit:
    Just looked at the Kernel on the wiki - it's the same as in BT3 as far as I can tell. Why did you suggest it pureh@te if you don't mind my asking? Am I missing something. And Super_nio, you seem to be using older drivers than me? My folder name is rtl8185_linux_26.1027.0823.2007, and yours is rtl8187_linux_26.1010.0622.2006. I guess that's because you're using the 8187 instead of 8185, however, I am using 8185 drivers for my 8187 because they are newer and fairly similar. So try that instead if my previous instructions don't work.

Developer

The kernel.lzm contain some of parts that were left out of the bt3 .iso due to space. They are needed for some builds.

Just burned his ISO

Why do you need to patch, all I did was update the aircrack-ng suite, plugged in my 8187 USB stick and everything is working beautifully in BT3.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    The kernel.lzm contain some of parts that were left out of the bt3 .iso due to space. They are needed for some builds.
    Is this the same for the USB version though? Because that's what I (and I think Super_nio) are running? The kernel seemed to be the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by craigmac View Post
    Why do you need to patch, all I did was update the aircrack-ng suite, plugged in my 8187 USB stick and everything is working beautifully in BT3.
    I'm not running a USB stick, I'm running an internal PCI card on my desktop. It's not like I'm doing anything mobile to do with wireless anyway. I just set up a small home pentesting lab, and do everything there (that way it's legal).

-Stephen

Just burned his ISO

Sorry but yes the device it's ok without install anything driver,only using the ultimate version of aircrack.I have fallow the istruction find on site of aircrack,that is install the patch but is was not necessary.Thanks

Little confused. I'm guessing you got it working though? So thats good, whatever you did..

-Stephen