Thread: Will this work?

Default Will this work?

I have a three usb modem for my internet on my xp o/s

now i have backtrack on another partition

i came across this site explaining how to get it too work on SUSE 10.00

HUAWEI E220 is supported natively by Linux, over usbserial.ko (usbserial-generic) interface. Linux kernel versions prior to 2.6.20 have some problems with it, as the SCSI CDROM fakevolume with drivers for Microsoft systems gets automounted by usbstorage.ko module, preventing serial device /dev/ttyUSB0 from working properly. Go ahead and try out my workaround-kit!

Latest version 0x0008 works fine with SUSE 10.1, openSUSE 10.2, Fedora Core 5, Ubuntu 6.06, 6.10, 7.04, Mandriva Free2007Spring, and many many more! Why don't you check your system?

In SUSE 10.0 you need to import udev files from SUSE 10.1. They can be downloaded from here:

wont let me add links as i don't have enough posts so i just added the above to provide a little more info.

will this work with backtrack?

it says to

$ tar xjvf huawei.tar.bz2
    $ cd huawei
    $ su
    # make info

now if this works would i need to change the cd part as i have the drivers loaded onto a usb stick!

also in backtrack my wireless network card isnt showing up so i got the drivers and put them onto my usb stick but im having trouble trying to install them.

any ideas?

it says to

$ tar xjvf huawei.tar.bz2
    $ cd huawei
    $ su
    # make info
    ...Now if this works would i need to change the cd part as i have the drivers loaded onto a usb stick!

What this is doing is simply "unzipping" the file to a new dir which will be called huawei. You then move into this new directory to begin compiling.
    This action will be done in whichever directory you have the tar.bz2 file in - the place you will also be running the command from.

The part about importing udev files for Suse10.0 from Suse10.1 is irrelevant here, as you're not using Suse.
    It's not clear if the .bz2 file you wish to compile from is the stuff from Suse10.1 or the actual driver itself?? (Mind you, I've only glanced through this quickly)

also in backtrack my wireless network card isnt showing up so i got the drivers and put them onto my usb stick but im having trouble trying to install them.
    You will need to be a little more specific here!
    Supplying your wireless card/chipset would be a good idea to begin with - Which drivers did you attempt to install? Etc...

I have no wish to sound rude, but, imho, you are trying to run before you can walk
    You really must be prepared to learn a bit about Linux in general before trying to use BT, let alone make your own config changes, etc, etc
    There are many good posts around here giving plenty of good examples of learning materials - you'd be wise to spend some serious time applying yourself to "Linux fundamentals" first

nah mate your not being rude

i agree i am going at things too quick as i am a total novice to Linux

my wireless network card is Edimax EW-7128g which uses ralink chip set

the driver is rt2500 which iv downloaded from rt2x00.serialmonkey.com

ok so i was in backtrack

and to load the drivers it said to

type

tar xzvf rt2500-1.1.0-b2.tar

nothing happend

so i tried

ok so i was in backtrack

and to load the drivers it said to

type

tar rt2500-1.1.0-b2.tar

and it said

tar old option "b" requires an argument

i just took the drivers and placed them on the desktop from my usb pen is that right are should they go somewere else?