Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Pureh@tes newest creation

Anybody Modding there WRT may want to read this:

Cat-5 Ethernet/Serial/PoE to your wireless router

Adding PoE(Power over Ethernet) just wasn't good enough for [steve]. Not only does he have power running over his Cat-5, he shared the ground wire and used the remaining pair to add a serial console to his rooftop mounted wireless router. Nice.

http://www.hackaday.com/2008/03/26/c...reless-router/

Yea, I built a couple poe injectors for my wrts. I need to build a smaller one for my home wrt though, the one I have at the moment is a bit too big. Wires look ugly.

http://gallery.mac.com/barrywoods#10...&bgcolor=black
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yea, I built a couple poe injectors for my wrts. I need to build a smaller one for my home wrt though, the one I have at the moment is a bit too big. Wires look ugly.

http://gallery.mac.com/barrywoods#10...&bgcolor=black
    The rack is starting out nice and tidy! Wish mine were

I like the idea of PoE for the WRT's........think I'll look into that a bit more....

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    The rack is starting out nice and tidy! Wish mine were

I like the idea of PoE for the WRT's........think I'll look into that a bit more....
    Yea, they come in handy when you plumb in your network cables in the walls. You can mount the wrt anywhere that way. Saw somewhere where a guy put screws through the rubber feet of a wrt and mounted it that way. Works out really well. I used one inch sheetrock screws. Ran them through the little holes on the feet then put the feet back in the router. Positioned it where I wanted it on the wall and pushed in a bit. Then screwed in the screws where they left marks on the wall.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I've been messing around with 3rd party firmwares for a while now, I would suggest using openwrt and the buildroot, you can cross-compile basically anything, there are tons of pkgs (.ipkg) with lots of apps already ported, and the ipkg system actually works in openwrt(kamikaze-great stable fw) unlike dd-wrt which has a lot of 'broken' ports. Adding an sd mod or usb flash and using pivot_root was proven to work but honestly I can't remember the link... so you can have your router sitting in your trunk runing close to a full distro, and with the use of scripts like autoap maintain a connection at all times, maybe even "auto tftp on connect" hehe I have a buffalo whr-hp-g54 and a asus wl-500gp (266MHz-32MB RAM-2 v2.0 USB-cm9 miniPCI) with 8gb flash usb/usb gps on the usb slots and a 5V 2A converter. Or whatever purpose, I would love to have bt3 full runin on one, which I'm probably gonna get started on in a few days when I get another router to mess with, only thing with overcloaking the cpu that I've found a little dusturbing is, it creates more noise, so just keep in mind, going over 250 on a 200/233mhz + >75mW output would be overkill. Not to mention some routers, such as the whr-hp-g54 also have a built in amp so you really wanna keep your mW low.
    If anyone is interested in a project, such as bt-wrt, drop me a line or lets just go ahead and start up a clean section

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567