Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "It is very concerning to hear of people being able to hack into government sites,"

Default "It is very concerning to hear of people being able to hack into government sites,"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7240155.stm

How backward our we to have a government Minister say things like

"It is very concerning to hear of people being able to hack into government sites,"
    "Obviously it is something that the government will have to review, just as we did with our data.
    "This is another issue which we are going to have to look at very seriously."

About as backwards as...

dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

All I can say it Ireland is not any better.....

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_rep...//www.garda.ie

And....

HACKERS are targeting state departments for sensitive information. More than 80 government laptops have been stolen or are missing, raising fears about the protection of confidential data.

The Irish Independent has learned the laptops and computers have been lost or stolen over the past five years, triggering concerns sensitive information may be vulnerable.

Four government-controlled websites were also recently the victim of cyber-attacks and telephone hacking incidents.

A garda investigation is under way in the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, which experienced four "noteworthy hacking or cyber-attacks".

The Department of Transport was the subject of a "malicious security breach" and is blocking an average of 50 inappropriate attempts to connect to its systems every week.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...g-1284944.html

http://www.digitalrights.ie/2008/02/...e-wrong-hands/

*/ Mod's; I'm not trying to start a political argument */

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    */ Mod's; I'm not trying to start a political argument */
    Same here.

I dont think they should let ppl who dont know anything about the systems talk about it . I think its more just to get there face on tv and so forth but anyways.

I dont know about anyone else but my laptop (and work one)is my prize possession i never leave it out of my sight but thats me. I think that ppl of importance ie CEO`s , IT prof, Gov members and so on (ppl with useful info) should have more sense than just leaving them "laying" around.

Sry rant over (teddy back in cot with me now)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindbat View Post
    I dont know about anyone else but my laptop (and work one)is my prize possession i never leave it out of my sight but thats me. I think that ppl of importance ie CEO`s , IT prof, Gov members and so on (ppl with useful info) should have more sense than just leaving them "laying" around.
    It's in the human nature to become complacent, especially with those higher up the food chain (so it seems).
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Same here.

I dont think they should let ppl who dont know anything about the systems talk about it . I think its more just to get there face on tv and so forth but anyways.

Sry rant over (teddy back in cot with me now)
    The problem is, laptops are handed out to employees that don't feel the same way. To them, it's just something their company gave them and if they break it or lose it, their company will give them another one.

One place I worked, there was a Husband/Wife that worked in different departments. In the course of 2 years, together they had lost 3 laptops.

Now if employees were made to be personally responsible for those items they might actually take some more care of them.

Of course, when it comes to IT telling them that they can't be installing all kinds of crap on their machines, suddenly the story turns around. You hear claims of "It's my laptop, I should be able to do what I want".

I have a company issued laptop, and it never leaves my sight if I'm out in public with it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Developer

Nice post man,

It would have been nice to add this information within the all-mighty one post about 'UK Information Warfare'.

I woke up this morning, havent heard the news yet but my mum told me that a hacker had broke into the DoE [Department of Environment] computers and that the administrator does not know at this point if it was just a 'hack' to see if the hacker could get in...or if they did any damage. Cant wait for the hourly news to come on the radio. I also heard that this happened on Friday 8th February.

I dont think they should let ppl who dont know anything about the systems talk about it . I think its more just to get there face on tv and so forth but anyways. ...
    From a government security standpoint it is preferable to have someone who does not know the details do the talking to the news media. That person cannot reveal information the he does not know either accidentally or by reacting badly if blindsided by questions he did not expect. Sure, a talking-head (aka 'spokesman') may look like an idiot to people who do know details, but they get paid well for that, and for security purposes it's priceless.

For people who should understand the "social engineering" aspect of infosec, some of you seem to miss it completely at the wholesale level.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

I hear about it on the 6:00am radio news in the headlines {5-10sec long max} and that was the last I heard on any of the main radio stations.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Denv View Post
    Nice post man,

It would have been nice to add this information within the all-mighty one post about 'UK Information Warfare'.

I woke up this morning, havent heard the news yet but my mum told me that a hacker had broke into the DoE [Department of Environment] computers and that the administrator does not know at this point if it was just a 'hack' to see if the hacker could get in...or if they did any damage. Cant wait for the hourly news to come on the radio. I also heard that this happened on Friday 8th February.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast