Thread: "Friendly" Worm to patch software

Default "Friendly" Worm to patch software

I think quite an interesting idea but I am asking myself in which world the guys in this article live.

I mean such a thing would be exploited and misused for other purposes and also vulnerabilites would be nearly spoonfed.

Furthermore I don't want anything to penetrate my machine on its own without me knowing. Well I don't bother that much since I am using Linux mainly but still.

Microsoft won't release patches anymore, it will release worms.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Would this mean the WSUS type server would be removed?

At a corporate level, if its removed you have no way of auditing whats happening to your PC's, if it isnt removed then whats the point? You still have one server updating the clients? so not really much of a chance?
    wtf?

What a ridiculous idea... although I'm sure that one day in the near future it will become some sort of demented 'standard' for software companies to deploy such invasive tools. (can anyone say.... Skynet? )
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    What a ridiculous idea... although I'm sure that one day in the near future it will become some sort of demented 'standard' for software companies to deploy such invasive tools. (can anyone say.... Skynet? )
    You misspelled that, it's RIAA.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Microcrap's Virus + RIAA/MPAA Filter running on client + ?????? = Skynet

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You misspelled that, it's RIAA.

So these guys live in the Land of Oz, where every worm is friendly and nice, and go down the yellow packet road spreading patches and joy to the users....

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
    "Family, Religion, Friends, those are the three demons you must face if you want to be successful in business"
    Montgomery Burns

What if I do not agree to this worm? I cant remember signing up for this to be allowed to happen to me. I didnt sign any contract....

...So If this is the case, do you reckon I could sue Microsoft for sending me something I didnt want? [sarcastic]

I think their EULA even mentions something about users soles......never mind future implementation of worms
    Can't quite remember

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    I think their EULA even mentions something about users soles......never mind future implementation of worms
    Can't quite remember
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze