Thread: can someone teach me about HD encryption

Just burned his ISO

Default can someone teach me about HD encryption

Hello,
    I want to know if there is a way to retrive documents from a HD secured with an Hard Disk Password?

__
    Dante

Anybody got any idea?
    Last edited by lupin; 02-06-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Merging...

Default Re: can someone teach me about HD encryption

Can you be more specific about what you mean by hard disk password? Are we talking about a hardware encryption device, software based hard drive encryption with boot time protection, or something else?

Are you talking about something specific or just asking in general? If its specific you might want to state what Operating System is being used, what does the password prompt look like, are there any brand names or product names shown at or before the prompt. If general you might want to provide details about where you read about it and what you know about it and how it works.

As it is your question is far too general and vague to elicit any useful answers.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

I'm talking about a hard drive based password. The content of my HD is not encrypted, but when i want to boot from this hard drive he askes me a password.

Googling for "hard drive password" led me to a number of interesting and relevant pages, including this one.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Googling for "hard drive password" led me to a number of interesting and relevant pages, including this one.
    That's a pretty great way to ensure your data integrity - it's like the software version of my Fe2O3 + 2Al → 2Fe + Al2O3 + heat reaction that we previously discussed in a similar thread (unless you follow the tiny link in the first couple of paragraphs).

If the OP were trying to be a little more specific about how he turned on the harddrive password that would be infinitely more useful. I'm going to have a guess and say it's a syskey system as that seems the most likely candidate for a "I turned it on but didn't realise", but having the proper information would be more useful.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for your link, it exactly fits with the kind of password i was talking about.
    In fact i don't want to remove the HDD password, my goal is to read the HD content without firering the protection!

By the way what's the deal with thermite?

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Thank you for your link, it exactly fits with the kind of password i was talking about.
    In fact i don't want to remove the HDD password, my goal is to read the HD content without firering the protection!

By the way what's the deal with thermite?
    Have a close read of how that site claims to operate.
    While unlocking, HDD Unlock Wizard will erase and re-certify the drive.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.