Thread: Wireless card problems (it is supported)

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless card problems (it is supported)

Hey all,

I've been testing out BT this week, and have encountered a strange problem with BT2 and 3.

I have a Belkin F5D7011 (which should use the bcm43xx, with Broadcom 4306 chipset) and in the Wiki it says it should work fine...

Once I load up Backtrack (still using Live CD) it detects my card no problem, and if I go straight to the Wifi Manager and connect to my router, inputting the WEP, it will work and have no problems browsing etc. I've been trying to crack my network key (for the hell of it) and as soon as I do that (use pretty much anything do with networks in the shell), I can't browse online, and no networks will come up in the Wifi Manager, but things like Airodump and Kismet still work fine. Its strange, any suggestions?

BTW, I also own a NetGear WG111T dongle (Atheros/MadWifi-ng) which is picked up as a USB device no problem, but not seen under IWConfig. I'm not too hot with Linux, am I just missing something?

Thanks for your time.

P.S Hello btw, I'm Andi.

It's a broadcom card, so your best option is to forget it unless you are a sadist and want to use an unreliable card that has huge problems.

Search the forum for broadcom and you will see why.

Just burned his ISO

Ah right, ok then. Well, what about the WG111T? How can I get that to appear under IWConfig?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Hey all,

I've been testing out BT this week, and have encountered a strange problem with BT2 and 3.

I have a Belkin F5D7011 (which should use the bcm43xx, with Broadcom 4306 chipset) and in the Wiki it says it should work fine...

Once I load up Backtrack (still using Live CD) it detects my card no problem, and if I go straight to the Wifi Manager and connect to my router, inputting the WEP, it will work and have no problems browsing etc. I've been trying to crack my network key (for the hell of it) and as soon as I do that (use pretty much anything do with networks in the shell), I can't browse online, and no networks will come up in the Wifi Manager, but things like Airodump and Kismet still work fine. Its strange, any suggestions?

BTW, I also own a NetGear WG111T dongle (Atheros/MadWifi-ng) which is picked up as a USB device no problem, but not seen under IWConfig. I'm not too hot with Linux, am I just missing something?

Thanks for your time.

P.S Hello btw, I'm Andi.
    its cuz programs like airodump put your wireless card in monitor mode, while it must be in managed mode if you want to do 'normal' things.
    Code:
    airmon-ng stop eth1
    ^ does the trick

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Yeah, you can't do both with ONE wifi Card. You cant try and hack your wep and be on the internet at the same time. Two different modes of operation.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    Yeah, you can't do both. You cant try and hack your wep and be on the internet at the same time. Two different modes of operation.
    Sure you can, you'd just need two NIC's.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Sure you can, you'd just need two NIC's.
    Fixed for ya
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

well, the OP does have 2

edit:1 of them is not a full-fledged one <.<
    Aquillar> hey, you guys ever play kmem russian roulette?
    Agnostos> I don't believe I have. care to explain the details?
    Aquillar> dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/kmem bs=1 count=1 seek=$RANDOM
    Aquillar> keep executing until system crashes
    Aquillar> person that crashes system has to buy beer
    Agnostos> lol
    Agnostos> I wonder if I can sneak that into a server startup script here.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the help! That fixed one problem eh

So how would I get the WG111T to show up under IWconfig/IFconfig?