Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EEEPC attempting SD card install...

Default EEEPC attempting SD card install...

is it not possible to install (REAL NOT LIVE) bt3 to an SD card? i have followed ihacked dot com.s tutorial however i seem to be having trouble with mkfs.ext3 because when i go to mount i get a format error,,, i guess my question is can you use ext3 filesystem on an SD card?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fload View Post
    is it not possible to install (REAL NOT LIVE) bt3 to an SD card? i have followed ihacked dot com.s tutorial however i seem to be having trouble with mkfs.ext3 because when i go to mount i get a format error,,, i guess my question is can you use ext3 filesystem on an SD card?
    I am not saying you can't but I have used only fat 32 and 16 so far.
    I will try and test other versions this weekend and post results.

I used fat32 on my card and I think others have too.
    I read that tutorial and had problems with parts of it.
    I would suggest that you use the wiki:
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....rack_USB_Stick

Failing this you could also get the bt3usbcreator by sh@menVirtuel
    search for it here on the forums.
    However Pureh@te will have the best answer for this.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

hmmm i had installed bt3 to the 4gb SSD but quickly ran out of room after updating everything was hoping to get a real install on a 16GB SDcard I tried searching google but maybe im not using the right terms though..

im fairly new to linux what are the drawbacks to using fat32? can a real install be done on the fat32 filesystem?

Developer

I have a 16 gig sdhc card and YES the ext2 or ext3 file systems can be used. This can only be done for a save changes partition. I have tried a real install several times and have not been sucsessful. I get a kenel panic every time. So the only way I have got the sdhc casd to work is a 2gig FAT32 partiton for bt3 ( extra gig for .lzm's I make) and the other 14 as ext3 for my save changes partition. It works great. Saves every thing and I have really not noticed a lot off difference from a "real" install. Hope that can help you in your quest.

I too have been pulling my hair out with this one, I don't know how many times I have stared looking at that 81% progress bar now!

I'm going to follow pureh@te's great video instructions when I get home later today.

well I have bt3 installed on the ssd and it works great I really wish I could just leave that install on there and maybe just move most of the programs to the Sd and mount the root/home on the sd Is this possible? I've been reading Linux for noobs (dummies) and I get the impression that you can mount any folder/directory to any partition. However I'm not sure if I start moving directorys over if it will break any links between libraries, from what I understand it should be really easy I just can't find any Info about anyone doing this.. I'm gonna read up a lil more and prolly give it a shot... Any directorys I definitly shouldn't move?
    P.S. Thanks for the help so far!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I have a 16 gig sdhc card and YES the ext2 or ext3 file systems can be used. This can only be done for a save changes partition. I have tried a real install several times and have not been sucsessful. I get a kenel panic every time. So the only way I have got the sdhc casd to work is a 2gig FAT32 partiton for bt3 ( extra gig for .lzm's I make) and the other 14 as ext3 for my save changes partition. It works great. Saves every thing and I have really not noticed a lot off difference from a "real" install. Hope that can help you in your quest.
    what did you use to partition your 16G sdhc card? I found that acronis disk director wont detect my 16SDHC integral card (using eeepc).

Great videos! Was a great help.

Developer

charlie126, I had the same problem as you. Nothing I had would detect my 16 gig card so what i did was I took a 1 gig usb and threw the bt3 and boot folders on it and made it bootable. Then I booted from usb on the eeepc. Once bt was up and running and I was in a familiar enviorment so I poped in the 16 gig card and it read it fine. Then I use fdisk to make my partitions and mkfsdos and mkfs.ext3 to make my file systems. Then i copied the two folders from the usb to the sd card and made it bootable. Then i rebooted to make sure every thing was kosher and then I made the save changes mods to the file. If you need more in depth help let me know.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    charlie126, I had the same problem as you. Nothing I had would detect my 16 gig card so what i did was I took a 1 gig usb and threw the bt3 and boot folders on it and made it bootable. Then I booted from usb on the eeepc. Once bt was up and running and I was in a familiar enviorment so I poped in the 16 gig card and it read it fine. Then I use fdisk to make my partitions and mkfsdos and mkfs.ext3 to make my file systems. Then i copied the two folders from the usb to the sd card and made it bootable. Then i rebooted to make sure every thing was kosher and then I made the save changes mods to the file. If you need more in depth help let me know.

works a treat, id tryed it with gparted from the ubuntu live cd paritioning the 16sdhc

Just burned his ISO

what SDHC card are you guys using? Seems like even a great sdhc card has lower sustained read/write rates than a good flash drive, so why install BT3 to an sdhc over a flash drive? I'm debating between the two, as I am mounting 2 flash drives internally, so having a USB drive stick out the side of my machine won't be a bother. But maybe i will mount an SDHC internally as well...

~JSlice~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast